Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-24-2010

gsclayton is on a distinguished road
Rigid Velcro for Hatch Bug Screens

Years ago I set up all my hatches with velcro bug screens, with adhesive velcro (the "hook" side) attached inside around the hatch frame and cloth velcro (the "loop" side) sewn to insect netting for the actual screens. After a season or so, the adhesive velcro would pull off due to use and drying out, and would start hanging down. I would then try to glue it up again, and the cycle would start over.

A wonderful solution is a rigid velcro product called Velstick, which is sold in four foot lengths and is an inch wide. This is made of a plastic material that can be cut with scissors and is black in color. You can attach Velstick around a hatch using stainless screws and collars at the ends of each run and in the middle on longer runs. It not only looks nice, but you can yank down your netting down without any fear of pulling it down. No need for any gluing. Be sure the buy the "hook" pieces only of the Velstick.

You can use regular cloth "loop" velcro to sew your screens. Make them about one inch oversized as they tend to shrink over time. I found a seamstress who sewed mine up nicely using khaki cloth ribbon with sewn pull tabs at the ends (for pulling off the screens). The netting is sandwiched between the cloth velcro and the khaki ribbon along the four edges and sewn through.

Another great use for Velstick is if you want to mount items such as power inverters so you can remove them, as needed. Screw the Vestick into the mounting location and use heavy duty adhesive velcro on the back of the inverter or other equipment. You can then attach or detach the item at will.

Velstick apparently was invented for hanging gym mats in schools, so it is rugged. I am surprised it is not being marketed in any marine catalogs.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Its a great idea, we have been using velcro for insect screens and laptop for a long time.
Showed a friend and he uses velcro to stick his phone at various places about the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-25-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Velcro ¬ģ brand Velstick- 1" Black Loop 1000 Std

Hmm, ordering some. As well as for hatches, it might work on the stupid headliner in one of the cars, which I've been attempting to repair.
Old 08-26-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the suggestion, gsc!

Jim