Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-25-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Suggestions for polishing Gelcoat at the dock?

My new-to-me boat arrived at the yard yesterday and should be put in the water Friday afternoon. The boat is in pretty good shape, only being 5 years old. However, it spent those 5 years in SoCal so there is a bit of UV induced oxidation on the hull. I frankly wouldn't be concerned about it, but it is obvious when the old vinyl lettering is removed.

The problem is that the boat yard won't allow any washing, polishing, waxing of the hull. The environmental regulations are tough enough and the yard cheap enough, that they simply won't allow it unless you are paying them to do the work and then also pay to have the water treated and disposed of.

So, I'm stuck until I get to boat to the dock. The problem is that while I can easily wash the boat at the dock, polishing and then waxing the hull will be a real pain. I can do just the area when the old name was, but then I'll have some really shiny areas on the hull surrounded by just clean areas.

Any suggestions on what others have done in the past?
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
I have never used much water other than to keep the pad from getting dry ?

I dont see how you can compound the boat in the water as its a good bit of work even with the correct machine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 08-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Polishing and waxing the boat in the water is really a PITA... since you can't really use power tools, unless you have air tools.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-25-2010

radioguy is on a distinguished road
Gotta love living in Louisiana. We use whatever chemicals we want and wash them directly into the water. In fact, whatever toxic leftover solutions I have, I just dump them into the water. We plumb our heads to empty directly into the water, etc. No one cares.
Old 08-25-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
I've done this dockside...and it is a pain. The important thing to do is to have a plan that breaks the boat into sections...then attack a section at a time.

Also, while this may be cheating, it has worked for me. I've found a wax that has some slight abrasives in it...and use that on an oxidized boat for a season or two...like Meguires Flagship. After a couple of seasons, I switched to pure Carnuba. Use the elbow grease/hand method...mist the wax application & take-off to ease the effort.
Old 08-25-2010

14432 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioguy View Post
Gotta love living in Louisiana. We use whatever chemicals we want and wash them directly into the water. In fact, whatever toxic leftover solutions I have, I just dump them into the water. We plumb our heads to empty directly into the water, etc. No one cares.
I hope you're joking
Old 08-25-2010

crossbowme is on a distinguished road
I recommend you be extremely careful using electric polishers, etc. while she's in the water. My brother did that a number of years ago, slipped and touch water and was electrocuted! He lived but spent weeks in the hospital and now has a bad heart!

Here in Maine (you can do it too in Washington), if we have to work on the boat when it's in the water, we tie her to a dock that shoals (goes dry) on the low tide and work on it then. If I were you, I would find another yard. There's got to be a way to wax your boat in the yard,
Old 08-25-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I agree with the above post, either find another yard or pay the yard you are in to compound,polish and wax it. Been there, done that, will never do it again.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 08-25-2010
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road
I paid my yard to compound and wax my hull this spring and was surprised at how inexpensive it was. I paid about $400 to do the hull. I paid another $400 to do the topsides (rub rail up) which I won't do again because that is something that's easy to do (gravity isn't working against you) and you can use power tools there. I'll never do the hull myself again.
Old 08-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that doing it yourself isn't so difficult if you follow Maine Sail's excellent directions. Most yard workers don't have a clue how to properly clean, polish and wax a hull. Most also use inferior materials and supplies that will prematurely age your hull in the long run.

I'd also point out that the TOPSIDES is the hull from the waterline to the deck...not just the section above the rubrail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith10 View Post
I paid my yard to compound and wax my hull this spring and was surprised at how inexpensive it was. I paid about $400 to do the hull. I paid another $400 to do the topsides (rub rail up) which I won't do again because that is something that's easy to do (gravity isn't working against you) and you can use power tools there. I'll never do the hull myself again.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 08-26-2010 at 01:01 AM.