Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-06-2006

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
Ez Jax

We have EZ JAX (ezjax.com) and are quite satisfied. Without EZ JAX, the sail when dropped was a real hair-ball to tidy up. EZ JAX need not be deployed when sailing and do not require sail-cover modification. We do sometimes deploy the EZ JAX when reefed, which eliminates the need to tie up the excess sail at the boom.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2006

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
I own an Omega 36, bought used a couple of years ago. The boat was owned by a couple that were very much into racing, but my interest is in easy cruising.

Our boat has a home-made system consisting of an elastic bungy cord attached to either side of the boom with a ring fitted mid-way on the cord on each side. There is a line with a hook attached to the mast below the first spreader that, when not in use, is secured to one of the shrouds. When we want to set it up, I have to get up on the coach roof, untie the cord from the shroud and stretch the bungy cord up to reach the hook. I have to do this on both sides of the boat. The advantage in this is that once the sail is up the whole thing can be detached so there is absolutely no chafing on the sail. The disadvantave (from my novice point of veiw) is that I have to leave the cockpit to set the system up (or knock it down) and, if the conditions are a little rough, it doesn't fully contain the mainsail.

I'm thinking about replacing it with a Mack-Pac. Toughts/Recommendations?

V/R
Old 08-18-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
One thing you can do, is take the system down before leaving the dock. Then you only have to put it back up for lowering the sail. I bought a Doyle StackPack for my boat, and have been very pleased with it. It's set up so you can easily loosen or tighten it, and could even be run back to the cockpit if desired (I haven't).

You sail out of Seward or Whitter when you're stateside?

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-18-2006
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
We've got a homemade version of a StackPack too, built a couple of years ago - the integral sailcover has definitely made us more willing to raise the sail even if we're going just a short distance. One of the best returns on investment we ever put into the boat.
Old 08-18-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer
You sail out of Seward or Whitter when you're stateside?
John,

I sail out of Seward. Currently deployed in Afghanistan and missing the season.

What's the difference between the Doyle and Mack systems?

Last edited by dave6330; 08-18-2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-18-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
The Doyle system has a membrane that holds the sailcover to the sail when it's raised. It's my understanding that that is unique to them. Other than that, I think all the "Pak" type system are pretty much the same.

Hope you don't have to go back on the waiting list when you get back. I lived in Anchorage for 22 yrs. Lot shorter drive to Seward now than when I got up there. They had just finished the part between Bird Creek and Girdwood the year before I left. What a difference!

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 08-18-2006

catamount is on a distinguished road
The lazy jacks that the riggers installed on my boat last winter have NO HARDWARE except for the eyelets on the mast and boom to which they attach, and the cleats on the boom for tieing them off. The lazy jacks are made out of rather slippery spectra line, and the various interconnections are made with eye splices, the line just running through with no metal rings nor any blocks. Nothing to chafe on the sail, although when sailing we generally loosen them and pull them forward to the reefing hooks at the gooseneck.

We pull out the lazy jacks when ready to drop the sail, and then once the sail is down and secured to the boom with sail ties, we loosen the lazy jacks and pull them forward to the mast again so they are out of the way of the sail cover.

We do sometimes have the problem of the battens getting caught when hoisting the sail, but that can largely be addressed simply by the helmsman keeping the boat head to the wind, keeping an eye on the sail going up and steering such that the battens stay out of the jacks.

Regards,

Tim
Old 08-18-2006

Still on the list

Not to worry, even though CIRRUS may be on the hard while I'm out of town, we're still on the wait list. Maybe in five or twelve years we'll get a slip.

However, I WILL look into the relative cost and virtues of the MackPack vs. the Doyle System. Taming my mainsail is going to probably do more than anything else to increase the enjoyment I get out of taking her out.

Thanks a lot.

V/R
Old 08-18-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
We also have spliced eyes in place of blocks on our lazy jack lines. With a little care in heading into the wind when raising sail, snagging the full battens isn't really a problem.

The mainsail setup is simple in design, uncluttered and will be easily replicated on our mizzen, which at the moment lacks this convenience.