Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-29-2010

mmcgowan is on a distinguished road
restoring my starwind 22

Howdy!

My fall/winter project is the restoration of my starwind 22. It has been in various kinds of storage for about 12 years, so you can imagine the mess!

Anyway, there are MANY things to be done, but one of them is the cabin carpet. How does one go about replacing it. Is there a certain type of marine carpet and glue I need to get?

Anyway, I will be posting a LOT throughout this process, so thanks in advance!

Mike McGowan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2010
Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da :)

Sixpoint is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard!

I don't have a single piece of valuable input, but (as I'm sure you've already seen) there are a lot of people here who can/will be chiming in to share their wealth of knowledge.

Best of luck on the resto.

SP
Old 08-29-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
this any help?

The Starwind Boats

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2010

mmcgowan is on a distinguished road
Denise,

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure which model I have--I know it is a 1982 model. The serial number off the transom is WELB4678M82F-22WKD. This just tells me that is is a 1982 boat that is 22'.

BTW, you look about 22

Mike
Old 08-30-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
hey Mike! In the resto process i was finding i had about 20 projects going at once... and while all would near completion i would keep getting sidetracked... have 3x as many tools out as i needed... confusing myself... etc...
one thing i found helpful was to make project lists by system... engine/elec/plumb/topside/comforts etc... then prioitize them from an 'OMG how did the PO think this was safe?!?!' to 'How comfy do i wanna be' and worked off of that. helped me stay on task, though i still got (get) sidetracked and confused with too many tools out... lol
oh, if you have deckboards under there you may not want to 'glue' yourself out of being able to get to them eaisily... even if not, i take my carpet out and powerwash it once a year, though i dont know how good that is for the carpet....
good luck, have fun you sound enthusiastic....

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Last edited by QuickMick; 08-30-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-30-2010
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

cghubbell is on a distinguished road
If you haven't already found it, pick yourself up a copy of Dan Casey's "This Old Boat". It is irreplaceable when it comes to organizing the steps in a refit. It provides guidelines for organizing and prioritizing the infinite projects, and gives good guidance on how to complete them. You may not agree with 100% of his methods, but its one heck of a foundation.

Book #2 you NEED is Nigel Caulder's Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual. It provides an alternative approach, and more in-depth coverage of some systems. Between these two books and Sailnet you will find all you need.

Sorry I can't help with the carpet, I'm more of a wood floor kinda guy. Not a big fan of things that can get wet and stay wet.
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2010

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
Is the carpet factory? If at all possible i would look at an option that involves something other than putting new carpet in. Possibly just ripping the carpet up and painting it the same color as the rest of the interior. interior.
Old 09-01-2010

WheresTheBrakes is on a distinguished road
mmcgowan - I have a Starwind 22 that I have recently began cleaning up too !!
I'm assuming that you mean the carpeting that is on the walls ? Mine is quite stained from water leaking about..

I'm considering cutting a small piece off of an inconspicuous area and trying to dye it with fabric dye.. it probably won't work though, as I imagine the carpet is nylon..

I tugged at it a bit tonight, and I think it would be easy enough to remove and use for templates, but would have to find the right fabric at the right price..

I look forward to hearing more about your refit !
~Joey

--------------------
1984 Starwind 22
"Julianne"
Old 09-11-2010

Nazdrowie is on a distinguished road
I replaced my carpet a couple of years ago with carpet for outside decks, looks like indoor low pile carpet (not the green or brown stuff that looks like grass). Got it from a carpet wholesale/retail outlet. Glued it down except for the access area for the bilge. Looks great. Easy to clean with a wet dry vac at the end of the year.
Good luck
Old 09-23-2011

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road
I know this is an old post, but how did the project work out?

I'm beginning a refit of my '82 Starwind 22 and was wondering if you had any advice, or if you had any photos of how yours ended up.

Thanks!

Seth