SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Head Problem

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  h37skipper 
#1 ·
We bought a 2001 Catalina 310 near the end of last season so this was our first launch. The head, which worked fine in the fall, is not pumping in seawater, I have the thru-hull valve open and the head in "wet bowl" mode, but nothing happens. "Dry bowl" mode seems to work fine.

I suspest the problem is the Wet/dry bowl switch/valve. Any suggestions on a solution or cause of the problem would be apprecaiated. Thank you

Brian O''Connor
Catalina 310 #151
Anam na Mara
NY, NY

#3 ·
If you did not winterize the head properly, that is to say by pouring Auntie Freeze not only in the bowl and pumped through the line to the holding tank but as well by pouring Auntie Freeze on the intake side of the pump, you could have damaged the pump assembly. Do not fear your MSD my son, you can rebuild it with a simple kit. It may save your butt some day. Pun intended!

#4 ·
Easy to check. Remove the inlet hose at the head. Open the thru-hull or, if it is too far away, have someone open it. If water comes out of the hose then the valve is bad. My guess is that the hose, thru-hull, or seacock is clogged. You should have a filter on that hose, right after the seacock or whatever kind of valve you are using.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.