Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-31-2010

grinfax is on a distinguished road
Painting in Florida

So I have put this off long enough, a coat of white gelcoat dust sticks to my shirt when I sit in my cockpit and I am seeing parts of the fiberglass in the more worn out parts of my gelcoat. I need to paint my deck, I am not sure I have the skills or time to do it myself and even though it's old, I love my boat and like things well done.

I live in Miami and I am looking for recommendations on where I can take my boat to get painted. I don't mind sailing up the coast somewhere if that means I can get a job done cheaper and better. Can anyone recommend a good place in Florida to paint my boat?

How much should I expect to pay on a 30 foot Tartan (3000)? How long does the process generally take? Anything to look out for? Good sites to look at? I have never done this before so I am flying blind.

Thank you,
Kim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Topsides is not so bad but not any bargins if done correctly

BUT a correct deck job is a large fortune as they have to remove ALL the hardware and replace it again when done and it is hard to do it outdoors in direct sunlight

Most of the good two part paints take 21 days to reach full hardness

First Cure Cycle: This cycle requires 12–24 hours at the standard conditions of 77°F (25°C), 50% R.H. When this stage is complete the painted surface can be handled; masking tape can be applied for striping and the finish appears to be dry. The coating can now be exposed to weather.

Second Cure Cycle: The second cure requires 72–96 hours at 77°F (25°C), 50% R.H. During this stage the film becomes much harder. Abrasion and chemical resistance develop. After the second cure cycle is complete the boat can be safely returned to limited service.

Third Cure Cycle: This third cycle requires 14–21 days at 77°F (25°C), 50% R.H. During this time the coating develops all its physical properties. The casual observer may not be able to determine a significant difference between Cycle 2 and Cycle 3. However, the cure is not complete during Cycle 2 and severe service conditions should be avoided.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2010
BoatSmith

Boatsmith is on a distinguished road
I am in Jupiter and will paint your boat reasonably. call me if you like.
561-632-2628 David
Old 09-05-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Topsides is not so bad but not any bargins if done correctly

BUT a correct deck job is a large fortune..................

Sure, tommays right, but the money comes with "correctly". Another word that produces a result that can't be easily distinguished from "correct" is "suitable"; however, the cost can be about 20% of "correct". You can hire somebody to do a "roll and tip" with a one or two part epoxy. This can be beautiful. Check some views of the work for whoever you hire. Afterall, you're asking for cosmetic work, not structural work. Better yet, check with Edwin's Yard at Man-O-War in Abaco and get the job done for a good price while you take a vacation cruise with all the money you'll save.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew