Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-01-2010

CapTim is on a distinguished road
Have you actually used a rig like that, zz4gta? Does it tend to twist or bind or get fouled when slack and swinging during a tack/gybe?

Living aboard, currently in the Chesapeake
O'Day 37, still new to us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I have not used a rig like that. I think the key to the rig will be lashing the extra block at an angle to keep the mainsheet from rubbing on itself, but I don't think it'll bind up. One way to find out...
Old 09-01-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
... my traveler is down in front of the companion way
So is our's, Denise.

We had the same problem: A 4:1 purchase just wasn't cutting it for The Admiral. (She's usually on the tiller, because I'm usually playing deck-monkey--so I also handle the jib and she takes [most of] the mainsheet duties.) So we went to this:

We had two problems with that solution, both occurring when the middle of the boom started getting out over the rail and further:
  • The sheet would tend to ride up out of the sheaves on the top block, preventing it from running free. This was mainly a problem in easing the main in light air or trimming it in heavy air.
  • That bottom block, being as wide as it is, would lay down on the brackets atop the cam cleats on the windward sheeting traveler car, which would both prevent it from freely swiveling and since they were stainless, would chew up the cheeks of the block.
I suspect the reason we had these problems is because our boom is pretty low. That, coupled with the traveler being atop the cockpit seats and mid-boom sheeting resulted in the mainsheet becoming nearly horizontal between the blocks as the boom went out.

Finally, out of frustration and desperation, I called Harken tech support. They fixed me up with a custom lower block that's a fiddle block with a third single block added, stand-ups on both. Now our mainsheet runs like its on greased rails

The Harken tech that fabricated that for us told me they've had to do it before, and there was even discussion of making it a standard catalog part. I don't know if they ever did that.

The bottom block we originally had had the auto-ratcheting feature. The custom one Harken did up for us had the manual switch, instead. Don't care. The auto-ratcheting was neat, but the whole thing actually working well is even "neater."

I don't believe I have a picture of the block Harken fabricated for us, but, if I remember, I can get one this weekend.

Jim
Old 09-01-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I'll take some pics too.. been meaning to anyway. My 4-1 has Never twisted badly. It has a long line and it goes awaaaay out there on a release.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-01-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
The best arrangement I have used is what Harken refers to as a two speed system, see examples 11-15 at Harken Mainsheet Trimming Systems

Basically the sheet is double-ended, but both ends come thru a pair of sistered camcleats. So you can fine tune with power by trinmming just one sheet, or trim or ease fast by handling both. Trimming both is no more difficult than a single sheet.

The system IMHO provides the best single solution for both power and speed.
Old 09-01-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
The best arrangement I have used is what Harken refers to as a two speed system, see examples 11-15 at Harken Mainsheet Trimming Systems

Basically the sheet is double-ended, but both ends come thru a pair of sistered camcleats. So you can fine tune with power by trinmming just one sheet, or trim or ease fast by handling both. Trimming both is no more difficult than a single sheet.

The system IMHO provides the best single solution for both power and speed.
Great idea, SF - much neater and far more clever than anything I've seen before.

I particularly like this one, which will make life easier on my boat:

Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-01-2010

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
Harken mainsheet rig

I have the Harken Main sheet rig on my 35' sailboat.

The traveler is mounted forward of the companionway and is level, which is nice as the mainsheet set does not change as you spill with the traveler.

It still needs the winch to pull it in or tighten it. There is a lot of line in the cockpit ( I bag it). I am not a racer so my adjustments are not fast. I have not had any issues with twisting lines.

Old 09-01-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Just curious, how does this 6:1/24:1 dump the main more quickly than a 6:1???
Actually, yes, it works very well and is pretty common on boats like J-35's. The 6:1 works great for gross tune, and the 4:1 fine tune makes it all manageable in higher wind ranges... trav up and down, teak with the fine tune. We have the same on ours... the 6:1 can really load up, but you don't have quite enough to need the extra weight/expense/space for a main sheet winch... it's much faster.
Old 09-02-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
A 6:1 will dump just as fast as another 6:1. It's the same thing people.
I still believe a 5:1 is going to be the best thing for you. Also if you need a new mainsheet (remember you just increased the puchase), just tell your favorite rigger that you want a single braid. There's some really nice stuff out there, and the sailing world should branch out from the standard "lets put 3/8" sta-set on everything" attitude.

If you don't want to change the mainsheet, then splice on another 10 feet or however much you need in the next size smaller line.

Another way to get around buying a nother sheet is to make a pennant that attaches the mainsheet block to the boom. If you have a 1' pennant, you just reduced your mainsheet length by 5' (if you go with a 5:1). Really helps get the spaghetti out of the cockpit.
Old 09-02-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
Another way to get around buying a nother sheet is to make a pennant that attaches the mainsheet block to the boom. If you have a 1' pennant, you just reduced your mainsheet length by 5' (if you go with a 5:1). Really helps get the spaghetti out of the cockpit.
..and increases the chances of you getting sconned something serious during a quick tack.

You'd have to learn to not only duck when the boom came over, but dodge as well!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.