Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-31-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Holding Tank Vent

How do you vent your holding tank ?

Suggestions for how to cap the vent above deck would be appreciated. I'm concerned about water washing over the deck simply filling the tank through the vent pipe.

Also, how important/advisable is a macerator ?

The Womboat has a Lavac head. The Henderson pump on the Lavac performs as near as damnit as a macerator anyway, so I'm wondering whether I need the actual macerator itself.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 08-31-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
td- our vent is on the outside of the hull, near the top and a bit ahead of midship. It isn't submerged when well heeled over although I'm sure that waves wash over it regularly in heavy weather. It has one of those fittings that has the cover over it and is open toward the stern. Hope that makes sense, I don't have a picture of it.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 08-31-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hey Fuzzy—

I would recommend using a 1" hose for the vent line, per Peggie Hall's recommendations. Terminate the fitting as high on the hull as you can as close to the holding tank as you can using a standard 1" through-hull and cover with a stainless steel clamshell vent cover.

As for a macerator...not really needed. I would recommend plumbing the head directly into the holding tank, then adding a DIVERTER VALVE to the holding tank pumpout hose, and leading one side of the diverter valve to the deck pumpout fitting and the other to a Whale/Henderson Mk V diaphragm pump and then to the seacock and through-hull. This will allow you to dump the tank when out past the three-mile limit...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-31-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
My vent is in the hull just under the deck edge, about amidships. It is mounted so the opening is down and aft. It's like the one below currently but I may change it to a larger one for the new holding tank which will be gravity draining. It will be mounted at the back of a hanging locker just under the deck and everything will go into it so no "Y" valves will be needed. I also have a Lavac and am sorry I didn't change to one sooner.
Attached Thumbnails
Holding Tank Vent-11.jpg  
Old 08-31-2010

Dog's suggestion is a good one - that is probably what I will do.
Old 08-31-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
ah..OK then....vent in topsides not in the deck. That's good to know. Dog's vent idea, which I guess is what you are talking about JRD, looks good.

mtiempo.....how far above water line is your tank ? When you say gravity drain where is the through hull ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-31-2010

The through hull will be right below the tank. As everything will go into the tank first by leaving the through hull open it is in effect a straight pumpout. The tank will be mounted a few inches under the deck and its bottom will be above the waterline by 6" or so. The deck pumpout will be directly above the through hull so if there is ever a clog a rod can be pushed through to clear. I will finish when I haul out and install the through hull.
I have come across many installations like this from a Vega 27 to a Nicholson 35 as well as others and nobody has had a problem with it. And it couldn't be simpler.
Old 09-01-2010
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
The idea behind a large diameter vent hose is to allow simultaneous bidirectional circulation (in and out) via one vent. Smaller diameter hoses tend only allow unidirectional flow (in or out) at any one time. The other option is to have two small vents (preferably placed on opposite sides of the boat) so that air will follow any pressure gradient and flow through the tank, keeping it well oxygenated. I prefer the two small vent option, using vent thru-hulls like the one in Brian's post (post #4) above. The vents on my boat are on the side of the cabin (both on the same side actually, just angled a bit differently), rather than the hull. This avoids any chance of water siphoning into the tank (or worse) when the rail is buried. If you do put the vents on the hull, I would place them either close to the bow or on the transom as those are two areas unlikely to be submerged for any length of time.
Old 09-01-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
The through hull will be right below the tank. As everything will go into the tank first by leaving the through hull open it is in effect a straight pumpout. The tank will be mounted a few inches under the deck and its bottom will be above the waterline by 6" or so. The deck pumpout will be directly above the through hull so if there is ever a clog a rod can be pushed through to clear. I will finish when I haul out and install the through hull.
I have come across many installations like this from a Vega 27 to a Nicholson 35 as well as others and nobody has had a problem with it. And it couldn't be simpler.
Sounds good to me. When you say "under deck" where is the thing actually located ? Forward head, outboard of that ?

I'm planning on ours going into our cockpit locker. The VDS 34 has an aft head not forward btw. I would prefer to avoid another through hull though.

Old 09-01-2010

Yhe head is forward on the port side and the tank is going in the starboard hanging locker which is pretty deep. I will still have a good sizes hanging locker. Unfortunately I can't put the tank on the same side as the commode due to the structure already in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Holding Tank Vent-11.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.