Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-01-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Awning - Boom mounted cover.

Having reworked (or in the process of reworking) our lazy jack system...thank you SD..... plus new Bimini and Dodger, the question of further covers comes to mind.

Currently we use an awning that is simply thrown over the boom. Pretty commonplace really. Negatives of course are that we have to collapse the lazy jacks to set the thing up and I am finding that tiresome.

Don't want or need a cover that simply joins dodger to bimini. Headroom is an issue as is ventilation. The boom awning creates a layer of air between it and the deck which we have found keeps the boat remarkably cool even in our hot steamy summers.

So......decided to take old awning cut it into four pieces and attach to either side of boom. Aft two pieces will zip to bimini and extend over dodger. F'ward two pieces go from there to mast. . Four pieces cos I figure we won't always want complete cover and the smaller pieces will be easier to handle.

Now, attachment to boom......I figure a boltrope on the cover's edge into a track mounted on side of boom.

Anyone have any better ideas ?

What track would I use ? Having a bit of trouble finding something suitable.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2010

paulk is on a distinguished road
Attachment options

Using a boltrope and slides seems like overkill. Why not put grommets along the edge of the awning near the boom and run sailties through them? You can space them so as to not interfere with the lazyjacks, and then tie them around the boom. That will attach the awning pretty solidly without having it be a huge hassle to rig or unrig. To use a boltrope-type setup, you'll have to get in to the boom, which should be underneath the sail cover. Wrappng a sailtie around the whole package (boom, sail, & sailcover) avoids this problem.
Old 09-01-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
I agree that a track and slides seem overkill..

How about this: Sew 6" pieces of 25mm webbing to the corners of the awning and a couple along the sides and use snaps to hold the 2 (or 4) pieces of awning roughly together. To install, simply clip together over the boom between your lazy-jack lines. Male clip on one awning, female clip on the other one.

(At least that's how our boat cover is held together and that seems to work fine!! )

These gadgets:

Fastex Snap Buckle 25mm

Last edited by Classic30; 09-01-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Better brainwave.. they don't come often!
Old 09-02-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Seems to me the best solution is Velcro stitched along the strategic edges of the four pieces that will fit around your lazy jack cords and attach to each other length-wise and over the top of your flaked sail or the boom if there is no sail.

Velcro at those lengths is suprisingly strong and if the wind is inclined to take the Velcro apart perhaps it's a good time to take the awning down anyhow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 09-02-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Paul,

I'm an idiot.

I've not been thinking and your simplified idea made me stop and think. Thank you.

We have a Seldon boom. The Seldon boom has a sailtrack built into both the top and bottom. Once we have finished with the new lazy jacks and sail ties the only thing under our boom will be the vang/preventer attachment point. If I go back to a two piece cover it can be suspended on the centre line with a couple of hooks to fittings in the lower boom track. Aft awning goes to the vang attachment point. F'ward goes from there. Allow some slots for the sail cover straps to drop through and bob's your uncle.

I think.

edit.....Cameron......our new lazy jacks have four legs. That would mean we'd need a five (or ten) piece awning......

edit.....Andre, the velcro thing would work but having remembered the existing track under the boom that seems quick and easy. As for too windy......it constantly amazes even a simpleton like me how people keep awnings up in the midst of an impending gale. Then they are shocked when they return to either a boat on the rocks or tattered awning. The windage can be quite remarkable even with just a bimini and dodger let alone a full boat cover.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 09-02-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-02-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Paul,

I'm an idiot.

I've not been thinking and your simplified idea made me stop and think. Thank you.

We have a Seldon boom. The Seldon boom has a sailtrack built into both the top and bottom. Once we have finished with the new lazy jacks and sail ties the only thing under our boom will be the vang/preventer attachment point. If I go back to a two piece cover it can be suspended on the centre line with a couple of hooks to fittings in the lower boom track. Aft awning goes to the vang attachment point. F'ward goes from there. Allow some slots for the sail cover straps to drop through and bob's your uncle.

I think.

edit.....Cameron......our new lazy jacks have four legs. That would mean we'd need a five (or ten) piece awning......
Hi A, on your first point... nah, won't go there.

But on the second: My original "pre-edited" thought was that you could hang the awning from a line under the boom, supported by saddles or slides at intervals, but then it occurred to me that it is much simpler than that.

Your lazy jacks have four legs?? That's fine. Nope - you don't need a multi-piece awning. I was down at the boat today and did think of taking a pic of ours, but what I wanted to show I couldn't zoom in close enough. I'm hopeless at MS Paint, so bear with me whilst I try to detail my suggestion above:

Awning - Boom mounted cover.-awning.jpg

Under this scenario, looking down from the top of the mast, the awning does not cover the boom or touch the lazy jacks, but sits parallel to it and hanging from it. Assume two awnings, one port, one starboard (the blue shapes). The two awnings clip together (black squares) using the webbing straps (red) over the boom and between the lazy-jacks. You make the straps as long as you need to get the awnings sitting level either side of the boom with a gap wide enough to get your hand through. Basically, 6 clips and she's on and tight. Very easy..

If you've got covers or high sides (or something like that) that with no way to pass a strap across the boom above, you could always revert to clipping the cover across and over a line run on a half-dozen slides along the track under the boom. Whatever works for you.

If you want to divide either side in half, use the same system, but with the webbing sewn in 2" or so back from the edge of the join underneath the awning parts so that there's a slight overlap whne the pieces are clipped together. Four clips each side of the boat would be enough.

Make sense now?? I hope this helps.

Cheers,
C

Last edited by Classic30; 09-02-2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-02-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Cameron, I'll re address this after being on board Saturday. I'm still thinking that with a sail track integral to the underside of the boom I might as well make use of it. Indeed there is also a bunch of slides already there which are now redundant due to the new lazy jacks attaching to the side of the boom.

There are also valid reasons for a multi piece (probably two) awning as we don't really need or want the f'ward section all the time. Under normal circumstances the aft section is more than adequate. It's only on especially hot days that we need the extra shade over the cabin. The smaller pieces make handling the thing a lot easier and we can also use the second piece to shade the side of the cockpit against the low afternoon sun.

Ease of unrigging is important in the event of the arrival of a southerly buster. You understand how fast those buggers come in and having once before had to try and rodenthandle our existing big awning with 35knot winds blowing I want the quickest and easiest uninstall.

Thanks to you and to all other contributers to this discussion. It ain't over yet.

Old 09-02-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Paul,

I'm an idiot.
No argument and complete agreement.

Glad to help on the lazy jacks... since you did all the hard work.

Quote:

I think.

edit.....Andre, the velcro thing would work but having remembered the existing track under the boom that seems quick and easy. As for too windy......it constantly amazes even a simpleton like me how people keep awnings up in the midst of an impending gale. Then they are shocked when they return to either a boat on the rocks or tattered awning. The windage can be quite remarkable even with just a bimini and dodger let alone a full boat cover.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-02-2010
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I attach my awning using sail ties, leaving the lazy jacks in place. Has worked well for me so far.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 09-02-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
I attach my awning using sail ties, leaving the lazy jacks in place. Has worked well for me so far.
PB....I'm sure that sail ties or velcro straps would do the job. I guess I'm just trying to come up with something a bit different that will be quicker and easier to rig/unrig. Maybe I'm trying to reinvent the wheel. We'll see.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.