Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-01-2010

Livinondreams is on a distinguished road
Deterioration around thru hull

I went and looked at a westsail the other day and was concerned when I noticed decay around a thru hull fitting. It seems to be a pretty deep gap at the area with the blue paint about 1/4 inch away from the fitting itself. Although this is a non cored hull, is that a serious issue or could it just be patched?
Attached Thumbnails
Deterioration around thru hull-thru-hull.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Hey Livin hows it going!

Its not a deal breaker if its an isolated thing..

If it were me Id pull the through hull and grind back to good glass and rebuild it up...Install a proper backing plate and bolted flange seacock she will be better then new.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 09-01-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-02-2010

Its going good,back on the prowl for another boat!

The westsail had a fairly recent survey and it seemed pretty good. Its just that one thru hull that has that problem but considering how thick the westsails hulls are I am hoping its not too serious.
Old 09-02-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Hey LOD, good to hear from you!

From your description, that doesn't sound too serious -- but would definitely need attention/repair. Also, it might be wise to seek a professional opinion (marine surveyor) before purchasing.

Which model Westsail is that you're looking at?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 09-02-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-02-2010

Its a factory finished 28. It needs a little love but it isn't in too bad of shape.
Old 09-02-2010
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
You might consider relocating the thru-hull (if you can) and grinding out, then patching the bad spot. That way you won't have to worry about the thru-hull being on a slightly weaken spot. An epoxy-glass patch, properly done, should be plenty strong. But, by moving the thru-hull to a "virgin" area, you can be doubly sure that the patch won't have any added stresses on it.
Old 09-02-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Regardless of whether you move the through-hull and patch the old spot or patch the old spot and keep the through hull there, I would highly recommend you follow Maine Sail's tutorial on installing through-hulls and use a decent fiberglass backing block, or one made of G10 garolite if you don't want to make up a backing block yourself. Bed the backing block in thickened epoxy so that it spreads the loads onto the hull evenly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-03-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Wha'ca gonna do with the contessa?

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 09-03-2010

Doesn't sound too bad, maine sail's tutorial seems pretty helpful. As always thanks for the info!

Stillraining, I ended up selling the contessa to a local at the yard after I moved and was going to school and working. (I had started realizing that I may had bitten off more then I could chew with that project) But that way I was able to save up a little more money and now I can get a little less of a project.
Old 09-03-2010
Handsome devil

Right on...did you ever complete that diesel mechanics course?