Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-02-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
slipcovers

The interior cushions on my boat are in good shape and fairly new, but the wackadoo that picked out the pattern still thought it was the 1970's. They are in such good shape that I'm thinking of making slipcovers to just update their look. Any materials I should/shouldnt use? also, I was thinking of elasticizing them to keep the vinyl side down, but the boat is dry so I dont know if I need to worry about this--it would require more marthastewartness.

thanks
quinn

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
GIven that you are making interior slip covers, I'd recommend going with a microfiber cloth. These are synthetics that are very wear resistant, stain resistant and usually fairly comfortable to the touch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-03-2010

nightowle is on a distinguished road
don't use cotton. It will absorb odors. stick with a synthetic material.....and should be easier to clean. I got a good deal at Fabric Stores | Upholstery Fabrics | Wholesale Fabrics | Drapery Fabrics
You can get samples by mail before committing. If they don't know the content (b/c some of the fabrics are remnant rolls), you can burn a piece of the sample. If it melts it's acrylic/polyester. If it chars like a cigarette, it's cotton.
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Old 09-05-2010

MissNola is on a distinguished road
Ooh, doing elastic is an interesting idea! I'm in the "same boat" as you... the cushions in my 1978 MacGregor seem to be okay as far as the shape they're in, but the upholstery is right out of the 70s - orange, brown and tan plaid - the v-berth cushions look like slices of pepperoni pizza LOL

I've got fabric from the po (incidentally, it's my sister) so I'm gearing up to deal with the cushions. One of my concerns is, in fact, that that current ones do have vinyl bottoms... which seems like a good idea, considering there are bilge access panels underneath every cushion... I'm hesitant about putting just fabric on the undersides because of condensation I've already seen on the vinyl.

It sounds like you're talking about making covers like how fitted sheets are made. Elastic really isn't hard to do at all... when you do that bottom hem, do it wide enough so your elastic will go through it.

Maybe another option for me is to just stitch some vinyl on the bottom where the cushion fits over the access hole.

*sigh* and I was JUST poking around for info on cushions before heading out to get the right size needles for the fabric. Now I have to stop and rethink it again.

I already hit the jackpot in searching for info when I read that I could put Velcro on the cushions instead of a zipper

And I'm still not sure whether I want to put piping along the edges - it seems like it would help them last longer.
Old 09-07-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
When thinking about the 'elastic' i too thought about running it all the way around the cover... but then i started thinking that it might be eaiser (for my lack of sewing prowess) to fit the slips with elastic straps and those plastic snap together jobbies... that way rather then have to sew the elastic i could make the slips to side and just hook elastic (two lat/two vert) to the cover and snap them into place..... just a thought.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture