My rudder had a crack in the leading edge. The rudder was also somewhat loose on the shaft. There was also an attempt repair
by a previous owner what needed attention.
It appeared that a previous owner had used a hole saw to drill (5) 1.5" holes into one side of the rudder. They then filled these holes with thickened epoxy
with not quite enough hardener, so they were a little soft. I am not sure what they were going for here. I drilled these out using a forstner bit. I drilled to the half way point where I hit metal. My thinking was that I could remove the old repair
and then set out on my own attempt to close the crack and finish the repair
. I dug out all the material in the crack and filled it with epoxy
and then thickened epoxy
. I then clamped it shut and left it over night. My plan was to add glass over the crack for strength. The next day I removed the clamps and all was well. But not for long. I came back a few hours later and the crack had opened back up. I guess I waited to long to add the glass. By this time I was pretty disappointed with myself and decided it was going to need a more aggressive repair
My next attempt was to remove this section of the rudder and clean it and re-bond it. So using a skill saw I made a straight cut tot he depth of the inner plate. The top portion of the rudder lifted off. I started to clean the metal off and look for something to use as a core material. but That is when I discovered the crack where the plate attached to the post. The crack is the complete length of the weld.