Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-03-2010

kjsailingSpring is on a distinguished road
A Perry Like yours, Capnblu

Capnblu, I like the stairs idea. Probably the best idea since I really don't want to waste time healing after I fall verses working on the boat. My boat isn't far off from your Tayana, as far as its another Bob Perry and came just after his design Tayanas. I love the Tayana's and had it in my mind to buy one for a long time and then really grew to like the Baba's. I bought a 1981 35' Ta Ching Baba. Actually, what I bought was the hull and every single item, from the ballast to the Mast, stripped out of her. It will be a complete refit, with new rigging, epoxy and fiberglass the hull, new plumbing, electric, etc... I'm so excited about her, I have visions of beauty when she's done. Her cabinetry, cockpit and decks are still quite pristine but she was neglected in upgrades and had a rotten mast so I'm starting over.

How did you Tayana refit go? How extensive and how long did it take you? What was the worst/hardest part?

KJ
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2010

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
I also started from a long way down! I removed every screw and bolt from the entire boat. I removed everything, appliances, sinks, taps, pumps, hoses, rudder, wires, headliner, and every piece of interior wood that had more than 1 screw hole in it. (if it only had 1, I plugged it) that was the line I drew at the time. I removed the bronze ports, and all the acrylic windows and hatches. I removed all the doors, drawers, and anything that could be removed. I pulled the engine and v drive. Steering quadrant and cables. I then stripped the inside of the hull down to bare fiberglass in the bilge, and in all areas under the cabinetry, and behind. Everything from the deck was removed, and all penetrations were overdrilled, and over beveled, and filled with epoxy, and fillers, then redrilled, and beveled, similar to what Mainesail has on his site. All new chainplates, were cut on a waterjet. Every part of every system was disassembled, and repaired to better than new, or thrown away. I made all new stansions, and bases. Every piece of bronze was brought down to 100 grit, then up to 3000, then polished to a mirror. Every piece of stainless was cut down to 60 grit, and brought up to 3000, then polished to a mirror. All interior woodwork was stripped to bare wood, and will begin it's new life at 6 coats of varnish, sprayed on if removed from boat, brushed and tipped with camel hair brush, if inside. All new foam, and material on berths, and seating areas. New battery bank 10 t 105's, new inverter, and charging system. Only original factory wires were maintained, after new heat shrink terminals were crimped on, and tested as new, all others new. New propane system. new hot water system. New bilge pump system. New Espar diesel forced air. 16000 btu and 8000 btu air conditoners. Complete Raymarine suite, autopilot radar wind speed depth, etc. 4 wet spots on deck were removed, recored, and brought back to spec. gelcoat completely removed from deck, and topsides. Hull faired. New teak deck epoxied down, no screws used. All hatches and non bronze door hardware bead blasted, and powdercoated. I am probably missing a few dozen things...
I am very close to finishing, and I have been at it full time for 2 1/2 years. I will complete in november. The hardest part was doing it with 2 artificial hips, that cause me mobility problems. Organization is the key to doing this big of a job. I separate my days into jobs at the boat, and jobs at home. 7 days a week, Christmas day off, wife's, and daughters birthdays off. Limit yourself to 14 hours a day.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-03-2010

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnblu View Post
The hardest part was doing it with 2 artificial hips, that cause me mobility problems.
I'l vote for your build the stairs solution or some type of scaffolding.

On the topic above about the mobility why the problem with the hip replacenment? I had one done 5 years ago and forget that its not the original. Those procedures seem to be getting as common as having a tooth filed. You can pretty much trip over guys at the gym I go to that have had some part replaced.

Last edited by LinekinBayCD; 09-03-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2010

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
Well I have had 3 total artificial hips so far. My first was at 22 yrs old. I have had my pelvis operated about 30 times too. So now that it doesn't dislocate daily anymore, I am quite happy. I can still walk and such, but for how long has always been the question. Also you are quite new at 5yrs Line, in another 5 yrs you will probably start noticing the effects of the deterioration of the cross linked polyethylene bearing that will cause bone loss, and loosening of the acetabular cup. It is a real pain in the A$$,I know, but maybe you will be lucky, or have a different component. Not a huge concern for people in their 70's to 80's that don't move as much, but I am only 42. The best news is that there is a new development that will have them insert a metal lattice assembly, and with stem cells, be able to grow new components in place. They are already testing this in animals, and it looks very promising for younger patients that could handle the 4 weeks of complete immobility. Should be available in 10 yrs. I will be ready.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2010

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
You are young for that. Thirty operations is crazy. I guess there are more issues than just the hips. So far so good. I have the highly cross linked polyethylene which is different from the polyethylen they had previously been using. From the research I read before my operation and after the highly cross linked polyethylene wears almost as well as the metal on metal hips but does not create the irritaion from the wear paticles as the metal on metal types. There was a front page article in the Wall Street Journal a week or two back about a recall on J&J / Depue metal on metal hips for that same reason. I think mine is a Zimmer My doctor told me it would be good for 25-30 years so we will see. No wear showing at the four year check up. So far everything he has told me has worked out to be true. We'll see. He just did Joe Paterno's this past winter so hopefully he knows what he is talking about. Joe Pa wants it to be good untill he quits coaching in 25 years.

Last edited by LinekinBayCD; 09-05-2010 at 11:45 AM.