Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-03-2010

kjsailingSpring is on a distinguished road
Need Boat Ladder Suggestions

I have my boat on the hard and need to have a good ladder solution. I will be refitting every system on the boat and up and down extensively over the next 6 months. I want a rolling step ladder with a platform but they are expensive and my other half says there has to be a better solution. Does anyone have any great ideas that would make my other half happy?

Thanks -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
I have 10' and 6' step fiberglass step ladders the 6' is cheep the 10' was pretty big bucks BUT much less than falling off a cheep one

I also have some 16' planks i set up on blocks when i want to work on a large section of hull and do not want to keep moving the ladder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-03-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
We use an articulated stepladder similar to the one below to make an impromptu scaffold. We place a 10' 2 x 6 board across the top so that we can walk from one end to the other. A 2x8 might be more reassuring for you. The result is a very sturdy platform that is stable and strong enough for both myself and my wife. Ours is a cheap-ish Harbor Freight ladder, but any articulate ladder should work. We've used this setup without issue for about 20 years.

Werner M1-8-16 8'/16' mm Type I Aluminum Articulated Ladder
Old 09-03-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second the Werner ladder Sabreman points out... very useful and far more versatile than a typical stepladder.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-03-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
maybe come up with some projects around that house that you would love to do.... if only you had a quality ladder! Maybe that way the purchase would have added value...

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 09-03-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I extend the ladder to it's full 16' length for painting the exterior of the house and fold it in half (8') for getting to our cathedral ceilings (at home, not on the boat ).

Super versatile ladder. I wouldn't be without it, regardless of whether I had a boat.
Old 09-03-2010

kjsailingSpring is on a distinguished road
Keep the great suggestions coming!

I like the Werner ladder idea but what about going up it with 50 pounds of ballast in my arms? I guess I could rig a pully system around a platform and hoist gear and supplies up to the deck via the dingy davit. I'm still not convinced I don't need to shell out for a rolling step ladder. This is the one I'm looking at: Used Warehouse Rolling Ladder 12 Step

Tommays suggestion was very helpful too. I will do that for fiberglassing the hull, sounds perfect!

Thanks guys!
Old 09-03-2010

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
I have refit my Tayana 42, and I can tell you, ladders of ANY TYPE suck. Build yourself a set of stairs 4' wide, with a landing on top at least 8' X 5'. Put a hand rail up both sides, and make the deck of the landing at the same level as the deck of the boat. Nail asphalt shingles to each step, and onto the platform on top. You will be walking those stairs a million times with heavy crap. build a post on a corner to hook up a come along or rope and pulley system to raise and lower all the things you do not wish to fall all the way down with. You will never regret it if you do.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
Old 09-03-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
This only really works if you own the place that you work on the boat at... most people need something that is a bit more portable a solution, rather than something so permanent. It might also work if you have a long-term relationship with the yard you're keeping your boat in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnblu View Post
I have refit my Tayana 42, and I can tell you, ladders of ANY TYPE suck. Build yourself a set of stairs 4' wide, with a landing on top at least 8' X 5'. Put a hand rail up both sides, and make the deck of the landing at the same level as the deck of the boat. Nail asphalt shingles to each step, and onto the platform on top. You will be walking those stairs a million times with heavy crap. build a post on a corner to hook up a come along or rope and pulley system to raise and lower all the things you do not wish to fall all the way down with. You will never regret it if you do.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-03-2010

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
I would try really hard to negotiate with my yard to allow a good set of stairs. Since KJ already mentioned a rolling set, I didn't see space or perceived permanence as a problem. My stairs can break down in under half an hour with a cordless screw gun. I used 2 X 12's for the stringers, 2 - 2X 6's for each tread, and 2 sections of brick layer scaffold for the tower. I have the entire boat surrounded by scaffold, and can walk up the stairs and either work around the topsides, or step onto the deck carrying both hands full. I just can't imagine trying a refit going up and down a ladder...

So what type of boat did you buy KJ? What will the scope of your refit involve?

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.