Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-03-2010

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Making upgrades to a Walker Bay 8

I just picked up a Walker Bay 8 dink with a sail kit. In reading about them here and other places around the web, I have read about people using fenders and other things instead of the expensive flotation tubes. I am interested in how people are attaching these to the boat.

Also, any other upgrade ideas are welcome.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2010

Tree is on a distinguished road
umm...... I'm sorry, but go for the float tubes. They are fantastic.

yep..... pricey but worth it. Look around, especially this time of year for sales.

I tried the other "cheap" route. They didn't really work.

The stability and peace of mind is worth the extra investment.
Old 09-04-2010
overdue at Sans Souci

Diva27 is on a distinguished road
I've had a Walker Bay 8 for quite a few years. This summer I decided to do a sailing conversion. My club's junior program was getting rid of some old Optis so I bought a rig with sail, rudder and daggerboard. I needed to add a plate to the transom to mount the rudder, and the Opti daggerboard was surprisingly oversized. I had to cut its chord length down by several inches to get it into the slot. The mast step was a semi-elaborate construction using pvc plumbing. The Opti sailplan was a little low for the Walker, and would have been like tacking a Finn. Given how much smaller the board area was, I presumed I could get rid of some sail area. A friend with an industrial sewing machine who does canvas work removed a lower panel so the boom could be raised.
After all that, I've hardly had time to use the rig. In hindsight, I'm not sure I'd remove the panel again. Its windward ability may be a little theoretical. Instead I would increase the rig height by lengthening the mast. But since the whole experiment cost me $75 to get the old Opti bits from the club and then a handful of dollars for plumbing parts and hardware, it's been an interesting experiment. If you can get your hands on some leftover Opti stuff, it's worth pursuing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It is better to be vaguely correct than specifically wrong.
Old 09-04-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Tree, yes I'm sure they are.. but one big complaint is the sun eats em up prematurely. (the float tubes)

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2010

Tree is on a distinguished road
Couldn't tell you about the sun eating them up. After 5 years, mine looks great. But then again, I'm up north.

I'd think a little tlc..... cover it with a 7 buck poly tarp when not useing it, store it off season inside (I hang mine in my garage) or even some 303 UV Inhibitor .....all might help mitigate the sun's effects.
Old 09-04-2010

Thanks for the suggestions. I want to try some of the "cheaper" solutions before spending a bunch of money. Anyone have suggestions on attaching external flotation?

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

Old 09-07-2010

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
I don't know what Tree tried but I tried this and it wasn't worth it. Even with the fenders on sale at the time plus the little SS eye bolts and washers, and the time to add it all - buy Walker Bay's.

I had hoped that the fenders would also help with spray - Nope It did add the stability I was looking for but the cost and aggravation was not worth it. This was back on my previous C320 and when I bought the Nauticat it came with a dingy so I ended up selling the Walker Bay.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 09-07-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
There must be some company that sells 6" dia closed cell foam stock.. no? or even half round?

my current "project"!
Old 09-07-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

I was "thinking" how cool it would be to make a "bulb" ended center board LOL
till it ran aground of course..

my current "project"!
Old 09-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
There must be some company that sells 6" dia closed cell foam stock.. no? or even half round?
Something like this might be good.