Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-08-2010

5hortBu5 is on a distinguished road
Raising a Javelin Mast with a Chute Halyard?

Hi folks,

My Javelin has a 23(ish) foot aluminum mast, which I have to raise and lower every time I have to sail, what with my being a trailer sailor and all.

The process, both up and down, was a mite scary for me and my girlfriend, especially when we had the mast vertical, but needed to lift it over the bow deck to thread it into the pass-through to the step on the 'keel'

Now, I know there's a tabernacle available for the boat, but I'm playing frugal right now, and wondering if there's an easier way to raise this sucker than straight hand-power, not to mention the need for careful standing rigging tuning on a deck-stepped mast like that. (Lessons_Learned)

So, my big idea:

The Javelin is somewhere around a 3/4 fractional rig, and I thought I might put a rubber pad on the bow deck, attach the spinnaker halyard to the forestay's chainplate, and have my girlfriend haul the mast to vertical, while I guide it up, and then down into the passthrough.

Does this sound like an entirely foolhardy maneuver? I mean, there are no bridges involved, so it can't be *that* bad, right?

What's the verdict? Crazy! Don't do it! You'll destroy your boat, kill your girlfriend and start an international incident! OR Go for it. Sounds like an okay idea?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2010

jcalvinmarks is on a distinguished road
I had a Daysailer - larger than your Javelin - and I certainly would not have wanted to raise the mast without the tabernacle. D&R Marine should have it for $75 or so.

I'm not sure I understand the procedure you're describing, or how it would be any different than what you're doing already. Without a tabernacle with a keel-stepped mast like that, there's really only one way to go about it: put it vertical, and drop it through the hole.

Believe me, I understand the temptation to save money where ever possible, but I think once you discover how much easier it is to have a tabernacle, that'll be about the best $75 you spend on that boat.

IMHO. FWIW. YMMV. IANAL.
Old 09-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, why is it so difficult to step the mast by yourself. The mast only weighs about 30 lbs. Why do you feel there is a need for any kind of mast raising system for a 30 lb. mast??? I step the mast on my friend's Javelin single-handedly all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.