Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-10-2010

4arch is on a distinguished road
Identify my anchor

I have an anchor that came with my boat that looks similar to a Delta but has no identifying stickers or any lettering, logos etc. cast into the metal. The only distinguishing characteristic I've been able to find is a patch of yellow paint on the bottomside of the anchor. Looking at several marine supply websites, I have not seen a similar anchor available (though they usually don't show the bottom in pictures). Does anyone know what I'm dealing with?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
a pic would help...

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 09-10-2010
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
< insert any random Delta knock-off here >
I don't know of any Delta variants with yellow coloring. That's probably been added by the previous owner either to assist sighting on the seabed (but why the underside?) or highlight the anchor when projecting from the bow.

A photo would be helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 09-10-2010

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Spade anchors have some yellow paint on them, not sure about the bottom however. But guessing with out seeing a pic is just silly.

Gene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 09-10-2010

4arch is on a distinguished road
Looking at the Spade website it does appear that I have a Spade or at least a knock-off. It's a little frustrating that it has absolutely no identifying marks other than the yellow paint. I must've been mistaken about what side the yellow paint is on. Serves me right for asking the question from memory! It doesn't appear that Spades are very widely distributed in the US.

My boat currently has a Fortress mounted to hangers on the bow rail and I'm thinking of making that my backup anchor and installing a bow roller to make the Spade my primary.
Old 09-10-2010
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
This is a Spade:
New Generation Anchors

I don't know of any real close knock-offs, except the Turkish "Ultra" which looks quite different.

The Spade has a concave fluke and is nothing like a Delta which is a plow.
They are painted yellow on the topside of the fluke so that set depth can be judged from the surface. The paint typically doesn't last long though.

Now, if you are mistaking a Spade for a plow, and the paint may be on the wrong side, it seems to me there's a good chance that some idiot has assembled the thing wrongly (with the fluke upside-down). There have been a few cases referenced online where that has happened, with the owners in question even getting the mounting box modified because "it didn't fit together right". Check it looks like the pic above.

The Spade is a good primary, there's not even a contest between it and the Fortress. You shouldn't use a Danforth style as a primary at all.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.

Last edited by Craig Smith; 07-08-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-11-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Can you post a picture?