Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-12-2010

ThirdCoastSailor is on a distinguished road
Condensator Problems

I've recently installed a condensator to pump out the AC condensate. I have two evaporators and the condensator works well when plumbed to one or the other but I cannot get it to pump out both drip pans when I 'T' them together. Has anyone else had this problem???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Pretty difficult to guess what you have without names of equipment and pictures. But! based on experience with much large equipment. If the evaporators have negative air pressure. (means the blower is pulling the air through) the water will be retained in the drain tubes. 2 Tee'd together with a common drian will be even more likely to retain the water. try a "trap" in the line before the pump. Any kind of dip or elbow that will fill with water should work the same way a sink trap works.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-13-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
The pressure drop through the venturi on the Condensator really isn't very great and may not be sufficient to overcome the head that develops in two evacuation lines similtaneously, particularly if they have substantial vertical components. Moreover, as soon as one pan clears, the vacuum will be lost entirely to the open line in that pan. The Condensator is very sensitive to the flow-rate through the discharge line such that if your pump is throwing much less than 390GPH, it's not likely to work particularly well at all. One solution would be to drain both units to a collector below deck and then have the condensator drain that. Another advantage of that is the fact that condensate will have a place to go, other than your bilge, once the A/C units are shut off. Otherwise, go with two units.

FWIW,,,
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 09-13-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
The "condensator" is a simple eductor (in chemical engineering speak) ... and typically they cant handle multiple 'inputs', without 'flow regulation' (same mass flow from 'both' inputs). If an eductor 'sucks air' it will 'stall'.
Old 09-13-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I do believe he means "condensation pump"

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-13-2010

r.furborough is on a distinguished road
The condensator will only pull water until one of the condensate trays is empty, it will then pull air from the empty tray in preference to water from the full tray. You will need one condensator for each tray.
Old 09-13-2010

sidmon is on a distinguished road
When I installed my Condensator a few months back, I was more than a little perplexed when it pumped water back into the boat when oriented with the direction of flow correctly per the BIG RED ARROW.

When I reversed it (after sucking on the thing and realizing that the little pickup nipple was sucking on my thumb with a backwards flow) the little puppy sucked like a hungry baby.

I called Mermaid, and sure enough there was a batch of the eductor bodies that were milled backwards.

The defective ones are stamped with an "05 09" under the stamped arrow.

Last edited by sidmon; 09-13-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-13-2010

sidmon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
The "condensator" is a simple eductor (in chemical engineering speak) ... and typically they cant handle multiple 'inputs', without 'flow regulation' (same mass flow from 'both' inputs). If an eductor 'sucks air' it will 'stall'.
Rich, as an FYI, mine (the new one) sucks nealy all of the condensate out of the tray, sucks big pleny air until the takeup tube fills again, and then laps the water up just fine...

There are only brief moments when its actually picking up solid water.

As a matter of fact, the manual says to expect a milky appearance to the output due to air entering the stream.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.