Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-12-2010

AuntB is on a distinguished road
Sea Sprite 23 - question

I would like peoples thoughts a Sea Sprite 23.

We are looking for our first sailboat. Over time I have adjusted from looking for an around the world boat to a smaller daysailer that would help me learn and improve my skills. We will be sailing in the Chesapeake Bay.

Today I looked at a 1967 Sea Sprite 23. Lovely lines, 3 year old North Sails, roller furling jib, solid hull. The standing and running rigging seems fine, anchor and rode in place, small outboard, and other misc equipment was there.

The down side:
1. One of the two stringers below the mast was flexed at some time in the past, the fiberglass is cracked. The issue was repaired with a small SS metal plate and was screwed into the stringer with 8 SS screws. Seems solid now.
2. A 1 to 2 square foot patch of deck on the port side near the mast sounds a bit different and maybe soft or it could just be the nonskid.
3. Both the starboard and port combings had attached cleats that pulled out and left quarter size holes surrounded by soft wood. There is a larger block of rotted teak at the aft of the combing that ties the combing to the deck.
4. The hull is solid but has a square foot of damage where the boat rubbed on a piling. The damage goes below the gel coat.
5. The hull, deck, and cabin needs scrubbing and paint.
6. No battery and the electric system has been removed. The lights remain in place.
7. It rained today and there was moisture below the cushions under the hatch but very little water in the bilge. No bilge pump.
8. Several other smaller items also need attention.

I am handy but want to spend my time sailing not working. Does this list seem like a lot of time and/or a lot of money? Would this be a good first boat for the Bay?

Not sure a survey is needed on an inexpensive boat, but I will find someone to look at it before making a decision to purchase. Just wanted to get some ideas first.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntB View Post
I would like peoples thoughts a Sea Sprite 23.

We are looking for our first sailboat. Over time I have adjusted from looking for an around the world boat to a smaller daysailer that would help me learn and improve my skills. We will be sailing in the Chesapeake Bay.

Today I looked at a 1967 Sea Sprite 23. Lovely lines, 3 year old North Sails, roller furling jib, solid hull. The standing and running rigging seems fine, anchor and rode in place, small outboard, and other misc equipment was there.

The down side:
1. One of the two stringers below the mast was flexed at some time in the past, the fiberglass is cracked. The issue was repaired with a small SS metal plate and was screwed into the stringer with 8 SS screws. Seems solid now.
This is not the proper way to repair a cracked fiberglass stringer, and is likely to fail regardless of how solid it appears. The stainless steel plate will likely cause stress risers along the stringer where it ends. This is why fiberglass repairs are generally tapered at a 12:1 ratio, to spread the stress along the laminate evenly.

Quote:
2. A 1 to 2 square foot patch of deck on the port side near the mast sounds a bit different and maybe soft or it could just be the nonskid.
I doubt it...probably water intrusion into the laminate from the chainplates or the mast step/partners.
Quote:
3. Both the starboard and port combings had attached cleats that pulled out and left quarter size holes surrounded by soft wood. There is a larger block of rotted teak at the aft of the combing that ties the combing to the deck.
The coamings are likely neglected and in need of replacement.
Quote:
4. The hull is solid but has a square foot of damage where the boat rubbed on a piling. The damage goes below the gel coat.
How long has this damage been there. Water can enter the laminate if it isn't sealed and protected by gelcoat or other finish.
Quote:
5. The hull, deck, and cabin needs scrubbing and paint.
Sounds like the boat was neglected.
Quote:
6. No battery and the electric system has been removed. The lights remain in place.
Probably needs a complete rewiring job.
Quote:
7. It rained today and there was moisture below the cushions under the hatch but very little water in the bilge. No bilge pump.
Sounds like it has some leaks. These can be a PITA to track down, as water can migrate a long way from the actual point of entry.
Quote:
8. Several other smaller items also need attention.

I am handy but want to spend my time sailing not working. Does this list seem like a lot of time and/or a lot of money? Would this be a good first boat for the Bay?

Not sure a survey is needed on an inexpensive boat, but I will find someone to look at it before making a decision to purchase. Just wanted to get some ideas first.
If you want to sail, then pass on this boat, as it has some potentially serious issues.

I'd also recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, as it will help you determine whether any boats you look at are even worth going forward on, saving you the price of a survey on boats that aren't worth looking at further.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-13-2010

jfdubu is on a distinguished road
Sea Sprite 23, very nice boats, easy to sail, great to learn on.

My first experiance was on a SS23 at the age of 12. They came in two versions, the weekender and daysailer. My GF has a weekender that if it's not listed now will be for sale soon in Narragansett bay.
It has none of the problems you list on this boat. In fact we rewired it this spring and it also has new sails.
Old 09-13-2010

AuntB is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the responses. I talked to a boat yard about the electric and quickly learned I was in over my head. The forum consensus always seems to be that a cheap boat may not be cheap. In this case I could be looking at a lot of labor/money before any real sailing took place.

So I will move on. Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2010

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
Probably a smart move to move on. I am a sucker for a project but for every hour sailing I've probably spent 8 hrs working on boats. You have really got to enjoy projects for that ratio to work.