Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-14-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Catalina 25 Sails messed up

Take a look at these pictures and tell me what you think?
The sails feel crispy and there is a C/25 logo on the main.
Attached Thumbnails
Catalina 25 Sails messed up-p9120004-small-.jpg   Catalina 25 Sails messed up-p9120005-small-.jpg   Catalina 25 Sails messed up-p9120006-small-.jpg  

Last edited by davidpm; 09-14-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
This is the main and it is really setting poorly.
It looks like the foot is too short. Is that because he has the tall rig and the sail is for the standard rig.
Also the lazy jacks are too tight and are deforming the sail.
The boom is a real head knocker, very low and not parallel to the deck, why.

The jib is just not hoisted all the way. I tried but it would not go further.
I'm thinking of shorting the bottom pennent and removing the top pennent.
Attached Thumbnails
Catalina 25 Sails messed up-p9120008-small-.jpg  

Last edited by davidpm; 09-14-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-14-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Main sheet too tight, (boom vang too if he has one) needs be released when raising sail. foot not stretched, out haul hasn't enough purchase, Luff not stretched enough. leech line too tight. and yes the lazy jacks need to be loose. Just my thoughts. Oh, and a C25 boom is low

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 09-14-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Definitely need to get some luff tension on both the main and genny. Not clear what's going on at the top of the mast, but it look like the halyards may be twisted or lead wrong. I would check that out before shortening or removing the pennants on the genny. And he needs a real outhaul, not just a piece of line.
Old 09-15-2010

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
Re the jib: Yes, remove the top pennant. If nothing else it'll provide better visibility under the genoa.
If the luff tape hasn't been lubed, it could be a tight fit being hoisted up the furler's slot. Try McLube SailKote. Also, are we certain that the luff tape is the right size (thickness) for this particular furler foil?

Re the main: Can't tell from the pix...is the gooseneck adjustable up and down on the mast? Yes, the C25 boom does wanna run kinda low.
Yes, the lazyjacks are too tight.
Also it looks like the blocks at boom end are swapped. I run the main outhaul straight back. The leech reefing line (if that's what it is, instead of a topping lift) can be sent to the other block, on the side of the boom, for a better angle.
Old 09-15-2010

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
On the Catalina 25, the tall rig's mast is 2' higher than the standard rig, and the boom is 1' lower, which results in more sail area, and makes the tall rig boat sail much better in light to moderate winds. The trade-off is that the boom is a head knocker, until you get accustomed to keeping your head down. I sailed one for 23 years, and got thoroughly accustomed to it, and enjoyed the boat. The boom also sags aft a bit, for reasons I never understood, but it sailed so well that I didn't care. I always thought it was just the nature of the racing mainsail that I used.

I don't know of any useful purpose that the pennants serve, and would remove them both from the genoa. That should allow the jib luff to be tensioned properly. The only time I used a pennant on my tall rig C25 was on a storm jib, to raise it above the deck.

The main sail isn't raised to it's full height. I always raised mine as high as it would go, and then used the downhaul to tension the luff for the amount of winds we'd be sailing in that day. On a light air day, I'd leave the luff slack when I raised the sail, and then use the cunningham to tension it for beating to windward, and to ease it for sailing off the wind.

I also would re-rig the mainsail outhaul, so it can be easily adjusted while underway.
Old 09-15-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
The advise above is good. However I would not remove the bottom pennant on the sail unless you want to change the sheeting angle. It's an easy way to adjust the amount of twist you have in the jib. Go out on a good air day 8-12 and check where the tell tales break. They should break almost at the same time. The tops should break just before the middle and bottom tell tales. Adding a pennant at the bottom will do the same thing as moving the jib car leads forward. Closing the leach, adding more shape in the lower portion of the sail and sacrificing some pointing.
Old 09-15-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
The main is so out of wack I don't know where to begin.
Old 09-15-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Dumb question: Could the sails go to full hoist at one time? Its hard to see from your first photo, but is it possible that genoa is on the wrong halyard? The jib halyard should be going over a shive wheel at the top of the mast and in the photo, it is a bit lower. That larger angle will cause the upper furling unit to bind on the extrusion, making it harder to grind to full hoist. Do you have the measurements for the mainsail? Is it a “tall rig” one that is being hoisted on a “standard rig” boat? If that is the case, you might be happier selling it and getting one that better matches your boat’s P and E dimensions.
Old 09-16-2010

tap is on a distinguished road
Leave the pennants on. In fact it looks like they aren't long enough from your picture of the masthead, though your picture of the bow doesn't have the sail raised all the way, so perhaps they are ok when the sail is fully raised.

It's important that the top swivel on the furling unit be up high, close to where the halyard leaves the mast. Look up "halyard wrap". If the halyard is too close to parallel to the forestay when you furl the sail nothing will keep the entire upper swivel from spinning and wrapping the halyard around the forestay. The halyard needs to come away from the forestay at an angle. I think 7-10 degrees is the typical range.