Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-16-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
a/c unit question

I pulled the emerson quiet cool out of the vee... baby was not quiet nor cool. ive got a new unit to install, and while cleaning the anchor locker found a blower that had fallen from its mounting (i think you can see it below) anyway i was wondering if that blower is in place to provide adequate ventilation to the locker, or if it is there to provide air to the ac unit/for heat dissapation/or for some other reason. i guess im really asking if i need that unit in there? thanks

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
If the AC unit was mounted in that cut-out to the anchor locker?

Yeah, you probably NEED forced air (the blower) for any AC unit to operate properly in there. A "window" air conditioner is designed to blow exhaust into the great wide open spaces around it in order to transfer heat out. It is not designed to "duct" heat up out of a locker, so you'd need an auxiliary blower to get fresh outside air into the anchor locker and onto the coils of the AC unit. In theory...not just a blower but a way to bring fresh air in, and hot air out, preferably two blowers and some way to make the air flow not just bungle around.
I think you'd get better results by putting the AC unit on deck and then ducting the cold air down, rather than trying to handle the hot air on the coil side where it usually is designed to flow left/right/out/in all directions.
Old 09-16-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
where would i put an ac unit on deck? i have read of people making a ply-hatch board w/a cutout, but that wouldnt really shoot as much cold to the vee? ive got a drop in cruisair, but the blinkin fan quit spinning, so i just gave it a good wash and blasted out some dirt dauber silt--and hopefully one of those dirt daubers deals (nice alliteration, eh?) was all that was preventing it from moving--is that even plausible?
but yes the previous unit was in that cutout... ill try to get some more detailed pics tonight.

btw, the 'bungle around' comment made me chuckle.lol

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 09-16-2010
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
Was that a std window unit and not a marine unit? If so it would really need a blower and also an intake and an output for it.