Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-17-2010
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
Question What Brand Paint To Use

I'm repainting my topsides of my fiberglass boat and like your input on which (after correct prep/fairing, etc.) brand would give me the best looking result (navy blue). Interlux, Marine Paint, US Paint, Pettit, etc. and then of course what type, two part poly, one part urethane, etc. and so on and so on.
I have worked many years on finishing wood boat but never a "hard" surface type fiberglass boat. I want the boat to look new when done like a new shinning gelcoat.
Any input will be appreciated
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Are you spraying ? NOT easy and will require tenting as its nasty stuff

Awlgrip has the most fans and then you can decide Awlgrip vs. Awlcraft 2000

The older two parts like Awlgrip are not repairable

Which is why Awlcraft 2000 and paints like it are made now as it can be buffed

There are a bunch of Imron fans but i like the Awlgrip route because you can work with a compleat system of primer and paint that is compatable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-17-2010
Dutchman

I'm slightly familiar with the Awlgrip and have used the Imron but was hoping to hear about some other ones that are as good or better.
I'll be rolling and brush tipping it out and I'm lucky enough to be inside a building fully covered and yes as a ventilating fan engineer I'm aware of the ventilation requirements.
Any body have some success with "Blue Water" paint from IPaint or SupperMarinePaint????
Old 09-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would recommend against spraying, as many of the better paints, specifically the two-part linear polyurethanes, have a cyanide based component that is very unhealthy to inhale.

The two-part LPU paints are definitely the way to go. Just remember that the prep work is 95% of the basis for a good paint job. I would highly recommend removing all the hardware you can and then painting the deck and topsides. Then rebedding the hardware properly.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-17-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
EJO. As an owner of a 1973 ketch, I am interested in restorative paints. I have seen excellent results with Interlux Brightside paints as a one part application and I have been pleased with my own use of Interlux Perfection 2-Part expoxy. As you know 90% of your success will be preparation. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 09-17-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
If your rolling and tipping then in two part your stuck Awlgrip or Perfection as there the only paints i know of with brushing reducer

There will be a LOT more sandpaper involved as you will need two coats of primer which EACH have to be sanded as well as between the first two topcoats

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 09-21-2010
Dutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
EJO. As an owner of a 1973 ketch, I am interested in restorative paints. I have seen excellent results with Interlux Brightside paints as a one part application and I have been pleased with my own use of Interlux Perfection 2-Part expoxy.
All my Chris-Craft wood boat restorations have been with the I-lux Brightside paints and their primers and I always use Interlux below the waterline, I love that BS paint for it is a little more flexible but still hard and high gloss. I'm also a fan of the Interlux Schooner Varnish so I'm familiar with that and have painted several large (28', 32', 36') cabin cruisers and Sea skiffs (25', 27') to little wooden home built dinghies.
I'm not sure how this paint works on fiber glass. Will I get as "deep" a color with BS as I would with Awlgrip or Imron? Again I've never used BS on FG so I don't know the result, as a matter of fact I never painted FG, hence the original question of what to use.
I do not spray, I brush or when I can, I apply with roller and then brush.
It sounds like the main brand names are it because nobody told me about other than Awlgrip, Imron and now Interlux. I'm probably leaning to a two-part coating as that would be less temperature dependent being a chemical reaction.
I didn't order paint yet so I'll keep a watch on the thread. Their is so much sanding to do first and filling in scratches and dings.

Last edited by EJO; 09-21-2010 at 08:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-21-2010
Dutchman

Any pictures out there of a finished "Perfection", "Awlgrip" or "Imron" amateur paint job.
Old 09-21-2010
Irwin 25

andrewalexander is on a distinguished road
You may want to make an inquiry to the paint mfg's recommendation you are considering. Some paints like Perfection cannot be painted over existing one-part paints such as Brightside...all previous one-part paints and primers would need to be removed before proceeding down the Perfection two-part paint path. Just something to consider.

Painting Over Brightsides - Yachtpaintforum.com

....a

Last edited by andrewalexander; 09-21-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2010
Dutchman

Andrew my original question was wrong I'm not RE-painting I'm just painting so all I have is "gel-coat". Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the Interlux forum reminder I forgot that they had that. I'll peruse that forum and see if I can't pick up some info.
Sailing was great last eve with the small craft and gale warnings, it was exhilarating, came in B-4 the gales though.

Skipper E-J
S/V “SAILMATES” 1973 IRWIN 32 CLASSIC

Last edited by EJO; 09-22-2010 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar