Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-18-2010

ozsailer is on a distinguished road
Copper antifould

Hello everyone,
well the boat comes out of the water on the 5th of next month and we are getting some major workk done. When we bought the boat we new we had some osmosis in the hull which was covered by about 15 years of antifoul. We decided to take the plunge and having recieved three quotes we were very pleasantly surprised that our local marina was the cheapest quote and they do good quality work. The quote covers gettting all the old antifoul sand blasted off, two coats of epoxy barrier and two coats of new antifoul. No one could quote on osmosis repair until the antifoul is off so its a bit of a worry but still has been budgetted.
I need some advice as while we are getting this work done is it worthwhile of going to the extra expence and putting on copper coat. I know it dearer but not sure on how much dearer but it appears very worth while with many reporting of not having to re antifoul for in excess of ten years. I am hoping we have enough funds to put in auto helm and a chart plotter as well which will then see us well set up for coastal cruising to destinations much further afield. Just for the info of everyone we own a Cheiftain 38 which is a moderate displacement 1982 sloop.
I open the floor to your knowledge

Greg and Sue
Lake Macquarie
Land down under
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Gooday Greg and Sue,

Hi from a a little north of you.
You sound like you are getting the works done. Just ensure compatibility with the barrier coat.

With respect to not having to antifoul for another 10 years - I would be very dubious about that claim. When you head north into the warmer water tropics, whole ecosystems appear on the hull almost overnight (possible slight exageration)

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One of my friends had her boat done as a gift from her father with CopperCoat. She's now on year 15 with it. Another friend had his boat done seven years ago. I did my boat with CopperCoat in 2007 and have been pretty happy with it. I figure, if I get five years out of it, I'll break even compared to using an ablative. If I get ten years out of it, I'm ahead of the game money wise.

I'd point out that when I bought my CopperCoat, it wasn't being distributed in the US, so I had to pay hazmat air freight charges for it. Now, they have a US distributor, in Florida, and buying it today would be a good deal less costly.

It isn't maintenance-free. It does need to be scrubbed once in a while, when the boat is in the water, to keep it clear of slime. If you don't wipe it down occasionally, you will start to get barnacles, since they will attach to the slime layer. However, unlike barnacles on gelcoat, these will generally come off the bottom with just pressure spraying. Also, scrubbing the hull lightly with a scotchbrite pad just before splashing the boat is a good idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-18-2010
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Progressive Epoxies (Epoxy Resin - Polymers || Paint and Repair Epoxies - Info and Products || Marine and floor coatings) also has the materials to make your own copper antifouling.
Old 09-18-2010

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
I saw this and talked to the guy in Newport. I'm really intrigued by this and the cost to me of the product would be what I considered cost effective. I stopped painting my boat myself a couple of years ago and pay the Marina so my payback is pretty quick. about 3 years. The only thing thats spooking me, and maybe you can answer this Dog. The dealer said the top or air exposed portion of the coating will turn green as copper would (ie: Stature of Liberty) How easy is that to clean off?

Dave
2007 Hunter 49
Old 09-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Brezzin—

Why clean it off?? You could clean it, but it would just oxidize again...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-19-2010
Swab

QuincyManzanita is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Gooday Greg and Sue,
When you head north into the warmer water tropics, whole ecosystems appear on the hull almost overnight (possible slight exageration)

cheers
I don't think you're exaggerating too much, my friend. My boat sits in that shallow bowl of primordial soup known as Tampa Bay, and if I ignore the bottom more then 17 hours this time of year I get growth so deep you want to name it--it has a personality all its own!

I guess I'm going to give this coppercoat some more thought (picture a guy scratching his chin and saying 'hmmm')

Cheers and good luck!

If ya keep getting stuck on the same sand bar can you still call yourself "Captain"?
Old 09-19-2010
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
I can't say that I've ever run across Coppercoat, but if its performance is anything like that other well-known copper-loaded epoxy, Copperpoxy, I would think twice before using it in any high-fouling conditions.

Here are some pix I took last week of a Newport 30 with a Copperpoxy bottom that is berthed in the Oakland Estuary. Bear in mind, this boat had just been cleaned 3 months prior. It couldn't have had more growth if didn't have any anti fouling on it at all:

Last edited by Fstbttms; 09-19-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-21-2010

ozsailer is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone,
many thanks for the replys. looks like I am going to have to do some more research. I am concerned that I am comparing apples with apples as there appear to be copper antifouls and other copper epoxy antifouls, both very different items. No use paying out very good money if the boat will foul as shown in the previous posts yet others swear by them. Hmmm back to the research.
Old 09-21-2010
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
I am concerned that I am comparing apples with apples as there appear to be copper antifouls and other copper epoxy antifouls, both very different items.
It can be confusing. Copper-based anti fouling paints are not the same as copper-loaded epoxies, which are not really "paints" at all. They are different technologies, have different performance parameters and much different price points.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.