Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-18-2010

solman55 is on a distinguished road
Running hardware

Hey guys/gals i have recently replaced most of my running rigging on a 30 year old boat to have about 15 year old blocks I replaced them with some nice ronstan 876 and 856 blocks but I need new snatch blocks and I cannot seem to find ones that I need for my boat I want to stay with ronstan but I am not sure which ones to go with my other ones keep falling apart on me and its a major inconvenience when sailing. I am also getting ready to pull the mast to put in a gps antenna and my vhf whip as well as 360 anchor light and masthead/deck light. So i need to figure which brand of gear and what gear I want/need to go with. Any info would be great.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why not consider going with Garhauer on the snatch blocks. Their snatch blocks are pretty well constructed.

Go with LED lighting if you can afford something like the Aquasignal Series 32 LED fixtures, at least for the anchor light. Get a Metz 3' 3dB stainless steel whip antenna for the VHF.

DON'T MOUNT THE GPS ANTENNA UP AT THE MASTHEAD. It should be mounted at the cabintop level or thereabouts. If you mount it at the masttop, you'll get some serious errors when the mast moves as the boat rolls and such...

For the steaming and deck light, I like the Hella combination unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solman55 View Post
Hey guys/gals i have recently replaced most of my running rigging on a 30 year old boat to have about 15 year old blocks I replaced them with some nice ronstan 876 and 856 blocks but I need new snatch blocks and I cannot seem to find ones that I need for my boat I want to stay with ronstan but I am not sure which ones to go with my other ones keep falling apart on me and its a major inconvenience when sailing. I am also getting ready to pull the mast to put in a gps antenna and my vhf whip as well as 360 anchor light and masthead/deck light. So i need to figure which brand of gear and what gear I want/need to go with. Any info would be great.
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-19-2010

Thanks dog I had no idea about the gps but it makes good since and mounting it on the cabin top will make it a good bit easier. I will look into the snatch blocks Im just not super familiar with many brands where I work we typically only use ronstan and harken because we have a deal with them however I do not get discounts. I had a post about lighting so it seems aquagaurd is the way to go. Wel while I have the mast down which is rather large for a 27 what else should I do? I am thinking of having it re anodized but not sure what else would be things to do.
Old 09-19-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Garhauer stuff is great - very well made with excellent prices. A little on the heavy side but I can live with that.
Old 09-19-2010

Yeah im just a cruiser and my current blocks weigh a ton so these cant be that bad haha