Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-15-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I'm looking to install a pair of these. (Ignore the price this is Australia not the US.) Anyone have any experience with Enotech panels ? They are certainly well priced compared to BP and quite frankly I'm not in the mood to buy anything from BP right now.

Solar Online Australia - Solar E 130W Solar Panel SE130P 12V Polycrystalline Solar Module

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
They don't look too bad, but they're only 55 watts each...Don't know about the brand though, as I've never heard of them until you posted. I'd look for panels from Kyocera, which are pretty highly rated...do you have room for two 3' x 22" panels on the womboat??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-18-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Stern mount works best - no shadows. Pic from Atom site.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Cells for the Womboat-1.jpg  
Old 09-19-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
They don't look too bad, but they're only 55 watts each...Don't know about the brand though, as I've never heard of them until you posted. I'd look for panels from Kyocera, which are pretty highly rated...do you have room for two 3' x 22" panels on the womboat??
SD, Apologies, I didn't see your reply to my post.

Mispelt the name btw...should be Enertech.

55w panel is 900 * 550 (36'" * 22") 5.5 sq ft

80w panel is 1200 * 550 (47" * 22") 7 sq ft

Kyocera 70 is 800 * 650 (32" * 26") 5.75 sq ft

The 1200 panel is pushing it for space but we could handle two of the E55s or two of the K70ws. In fact the K70 would fit the available space(s) better than the EN55w. Twin panels would be mounted fore/aft on either side of bimini, alternatively we could possibly go for a single K135w across the stern.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-20-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Fuzzy-

Go with the two K70s, rather than the single K135. First, the two panels will give you some redundancy against breakage.... Second, the two smaller panels are less likely to be shaded at the same time than the one larger panel. Shadows across a panel can drastically drop its output—so the two smaller panels may actually have an overall higher output relative to the one larger panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
SD, Apologies, I didn't see your reply to my post.

Mispelt the name btw...should be Enertech.

55w panel is 900 * 550 (36'" * 22") 5.5 sq ft

80w panel is 1200 * 550 (47" * 22") 7 sq ft

Kyocera 70 is 800 * 650 (32" * 26") 5.75 sq ft

The 1200 panel is pushing it for space but we could handle two of the E55s or two of the K70ws. In fact the K70 would fit the available space(s) better than the EN55w. Twin panels would be mounted fore/aft on either side of bimini, alternatively we could possibly go for a single K135w across the stern.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-20-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Solar Cells for the Womboat

Moved some posts from QuickMick's Solar thread cos it was starting to look like a hijack. I originally thought the two threads were compatible but now not so.

mitiempo...if you think your post shold have stayed with the other thread, let me know and I'll move it back.

Last edited by tdw; 09-20-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
tdw
Thanks but I think it's better here.
Old 09-20-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Sorry Fuzzy,

Not sure the solar cells will work, lack of brain cells is just that......lack off!

Marty
Old 09-20-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Sorry Fuzzy,

Not sure the solar cells will work, lack of brain cells is just that......lack off!

Marty
Here's me thinking that with my thinning pelt a solar array could put some heat back into my system.....

Old 09-20-2010
Telstar 28

Hey, no picking on Fuzzy...he's only got the two brain cells, and they're working as hard as they can....

Telstar 28
New England