Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-28-2003

gwp is on a distinguished road
Depth finder question??

Have an older model depth finder which has a dial type face with a "spinner" which produces a red dot to indicate depth on the dial. When on, the spinner works but reads 0-3 feet regardless of the actual depth. A wire runs from the unit to the transducer which is mounted beneath the V berth. I guess it''s the transducer.....it looks like a ~1" pvc pipe about 6" long sealed to the hull, with the wire going down thru the top. Question....Does the transducer ping thru the hull? Because there is no thru hull type fitting on the outside of the hull. Just trying to make this thing work. If anybody has any ideas, I''d be grateful.....Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2003

GordMay is on a distinguished road
Depth finder question??

Sounds like a, shoot thru'' the hull, Transducer. Transducers have a finite life. Likely, yours is dead and could be buried.
These type of Sounders (Flasher) can be had for < $100, so not much point in seeking a $150 replacement ''ducer.
Sorry,
Gord
Old 04-28-2003

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Depth finder question??

I found that VC17 bottom paint seemed to stop my transducer from working inside the hull. As long as the present transducer is mounted inside, remove it, submerge it over the side and test it that way.
Old 04-28-2003

fourknots is on a distinguished road
Depth finder question??

Is this new to you or was it working before? My "spinner" had a the light width indicating battery voltage (pretty clever) when it was turned on and before it was adjusted. After adjusting the gain (I think) it would read fine.

Maybe there is a limited tranducer life, but mine was 31 years old and worked fine.
Old 04-28-2003

gwp is on a distinguished road
Depth finder question??

Yea, I wouldn''t consider an expensive fix on this old girl. However, there might be an easy fix. I just don''t know anything about them. I have checked very good and am sure there is nothing on the outside of the hull opposite the transducer. The piece of pipe has much blue silicone looking stuff globbed all over it''s base (very messy job) as if it was to stop a leak? Or maybe to "glue" it in place? I have a horror of manhandling it to get it off to check it out thereby sinking my boat. It''s something about working below the waterline that makes me nervous. Thanks....Gary
Old 03-01-2006

popsla is on a distinguished road
It sounds like a oil box for the tranducer to sit in to shoot throught the hull. It should be filled with oil so that the tranducer can shoot throught the oil and the hull, the transducer won't work through air. It could have leaked out, it won't work with the oil gone. If you can get the top off to get the tranducer out, you can check the transducer by putting in in a baggie of water and putting that against the hull.
Old 03-01-2006
Cruise-aholic

yachtvalhalla is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth you may want to look at my article at:
http://yachtvalhalla.net/articles/tr...ransducer.html

I gave up on the oil bath technique and epoxied the transducer directly to the hull, as described in this article.

Terry
Old 01-03-2009
whatoo

whatoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to whatoo
My depth sounder is a Uniden and the transducer is of another brand. What do I do to merry the wiring together? transducer to depth sounder?
Thank you, Whatoo

Last edited by whatoo; 01-03-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2009
whatoo

whatoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to whatoo
I want to use a Uniden depth sounder. The transducer that is a thru-hull, is of another brand. I would like to leave the transducer in place and splice my depth sounder to the existing transducer. The transducer is a simple transmit/receive type, without a paddle. Can this be done?
Old 01-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Whatoo—

You really shouldn't be reviving a dead thread that was over seven years old to being with.

As for wiring a Uniden depth sounder to a different transducer, it depends on who made the transducer and what signal input/output it requires. Many transducers are made by Airmar, and in many cases, they can be used on different display heads without an issue.

If the wiring is the same number of wires and colors, there's a very good chance that the transducer will work on the Uniden, even if the transducer did not come with it.

BTW, you might be a bit confused, as I've never seen a depth transducer with a paddle. The paddle is for a knotmeter, and might be found on a triducer—that does speed, depth and temp... but never on a depth transducer.

I'd highly recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you get the most out of your time here. It has tips on searching sailnet, writing a good post, etc..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.