Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-23-2010

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
Galvanized wire rope on a boat??

Hello!

How badly will galvanized wire rope corrode on a boat?

I was strolling through a steel yard today and found tons of galvanized wire rope in all sizes for extremely cheap!

Any concerns about using it for lifelines??
Old 09-23-2010
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingWebGuy View Post
Hello!

How badly will galvanized wire rope corrode on a boat?

I was strolling through a steel yard today and found tons of galvanized wire rope in all sizes for extremely cheap!

Any concerns about using it for lifelines??
A generation (or two or three) ago, it wasn't too uncommon to see galvanized rigging. If you look at some older editions of boat maintenance and/or surveying books you'll see it mentioned quite frequently. Commercial fishing gear is often (usually?) galvanized, and that takes a real beating. However, they lose stuff all the time, so investing in pricey stainless gear may just not be worth it. In some ways it's easier to deal with galvanized wire rope, since you can use hand tools (Nicopress, etc.) to fasten it. And, as you have seen, it is a lot cheaper. However, it's not as nice looking as stainless, and it needs to be replaced much more often. Also, as I recall, the strength to weight ratio of stainless is quite a bit better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I wouldn't use galvanized wire for lifelines. I'd look at synthetics, probably Dynex Dux which is also a great choice to replace rigging wire. Turnbuckles are not needed as lashings are used instead. If using wire use stainless without the plastic cover. Here's a link to Dynex. Home
Old 09-23-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
If you really mean wire rope (galvanized wire with a natural fiber core) then stay away. It really sucks and is no longer in use for a good reason. If you mean galvanized wire (several strands of wire twisted together that looks like rope) then you can consider it. It is stronger than stainless. However, it is much more maintenance intensive since it has relatively poor corrosion resistance compared to stainless. It is much cheaper (even new). Check the alloy of steel being used under the galvanized coating to know the actual tensile strength of the wire to be sure and size it correctly.
Old 09-23-2010

casioqv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
However, it's not as nice looking as stainless, and it needs to be replaced much more often.
My understanding is galvanized rigging needs replacement much less often than stainless if it's maintained (rinsed with freshwater and oiled) regularly.

Stainless is subject to crevice corrosion, and can fail suddenly without warning if not replaced regularly, whereas galvanized wire won't fail until it's visibly rusted through, which takes a very long time when it's maintained properly.

As for strength- stainless and galvanized are virtually identical and can be sized the same for the same applications.

The downsides of galvanized wire as I see them are increased chafe on sheets and sails which touch them due to the rough surface, and rust stains on sheets, sails, and deck. But it's just as strong, cheaper, and longer lived.

IF you use galvanized wire, and learn how to do your own wire eyesplices it's possible to totally re-rig a large sailboat for well under $100.

I think it's an okay choice for rigging, but I can't see using it for lifelines due to rust staining and abrasion/chafe issues.

Last edited by casioqv; 09-23-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Galvanized wire was the rule until the late '60's and even through the mid-'70's on boats owned by "old salts". Generally galvanized wire rope that is well cared for and routinely "dressed" with boiled linseed oil will far outlast stainless. That said, the maintenance is the issue but if you are prepared for it, at least annually, it is a good inexpensive alternative for rigging, particularly if you learn how to splice it around a thimble, which isn't difficult but takes strong hands and fingers. A rigger that was capable of splicing wire rope never lacked for work when I was a boy.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 09-23-2010

Thank you everyone!

Here's my plan.. My current lifelines are shot. They're brown, cracked, and gross. The pelican clips are all bent. I stripped the PVC coating (real pain in the ass) and all of the stainless was completely covered in corrosion. There were a few breaks also but not too bad.

I'm gonna go with a galvanized/home brewed set up for a season and see how it works.

I was browsing around my dad's shop (he builds elevators) and noticed a bunch of 25' lengths of clear PVC (i think) tubing. They use it as a drip tube to collect hydraulic oil that may leak from the piston head.

Anyways, my thought was to oil the galvanized wire rope and then slip the tubing over it in an effort to protect it and reduce risk of chafing. Hopefully, I won't run into much discoloration in the tubing...we'll see.

Last edited by SailingWebGuy; 09-23-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2010

vintageray is on a distinguished road
I read a discussion on another forum about galvanized rigging with about the same consensus. The only issue that popped up was in regard to the appearance being not as nice as stainless. One of the posters said that they coat their galvanized rigging with a 50/50 mix of "silver" paint and fish oil and it looks great. I'm thinking of going with galvanized to replace the rigging on a Mariner 40 ketch and having a little trouble finding info on what wire I need to buy and what fittings to use. I understand that there are many manufacturers of galvanized stranded wire and differences in quality and need a steer toward a suitable grade at the most reasonable price, preferably in the U.S., because of shipping costs.
Old 10-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageray View Post
I read a discussion on another forum about galvanized rigging with about the same consensus. The only issue that popped up was in regard to the appearance being not as nice as stainless. One of the posters said that they coat their galvanized rigging with a 50/50 mix of "silver" paint and fish oil and it looks great. I'm thinking of going with galvanized to replace the rigging on a Mariner 40 ketch and having a little trouble finding info on what wire I need to buy and what fittings to use. I understand that there are many manufacturers of galvanized stranded wire and differences in quality and need a steer toward a suitable grade at the most reasonable price, preferably in the U.S., because of shipping costs.
You could probably contact US Rigging with questions. Here is a link to some of their galvanized rope WIRE ROPE :: STAINLESS STEEL WIRE ROPE :: GALVAIZED STEEL WIRE ROPE : STAINLESS STEEL COATED WIRE ROPE
Old 10-18-2010

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
sailingwebguy i think putting the covers over the galv. wire is a mistake. i think water will get in and puddle keeping the wire saturated which will cause the galv to fail sooner than later i believe. if you look at thimbles and shackles left under water(salt) the zinc starts to change color in about 2-3 days and then slowly in about a yr you can spot tell-tale signs of rust coming thru. at least in my experience in the N.E.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.