Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-25-2010

pluedee is on a distinguished road
Replacing Headliner in Tartan 41 (1974)

I have reached the point of no return- have torn all old vinyl liner down and am faced with a project.
The old Tartan 41s have a relatively flat over head with the (glaring) exception of a dome-like area forward of hatch slide as deck transitions to flat. I have contemplated the replacing vinyl or with the use of furring strips create an overhead of thinly cut ash sectioned off into manageable squares etc. I have several fears and issues with this idea for a warm wooden interior.

If I go with wood interior (my preference) I plan to use ash furring strips 1/2"x1' that will be screwed to overhead with a dab of 5200 spread around to maintain strength, but flexiblity. To this I would place 1/4"x2 ash strips sectioned off by trim boards. But I am still fearful of this beast roaring through a sea, flexing and having a pile of popsicle sticks on cabin sole.
I also have that nagging dome area that will not accept much curve.

I know I can use pre-cut panels covered with naugahyde and affix to furring strips, but aesthetics bug me.

1- Will the deck (and boat) flex too much to support all that screwed and glued wood?
2- Making a wooden transition for the dome area is not coming to my mind easily.
3- Using vinyl still presents the problem of attempting to force a material over compound curves.

Can anyone provide insight, advisement or stories of success using my mentioned methods?

Greatly appreciated. I am new to this site and hopeful somebody has struggled through this ahead of me

Thanks

Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
One popular solution is to epoxy wood slats (1/2" x 2") from side to side about 18" apart. Panels can be vinyl covered, varnished wood, or laminate on thin ply. Trim strips of hardwood cover the gaps between the panels. Here's a link to how it is done. Atom Voyages | Nicholson 31 Refit
Scroll down the page about halfway.
Old 09-25-2010

Thanks Brian,

I have examined the use of panels and/or wood strips, BUT my issue is still the dome area of overhead. It begins aft in vertical aspect and transitions to flat as it moves forward to center of boat (and flat deck). I have thought of creating a facade over this small area, but nothing is square, even, etc, and it gently rolls from vertical to flat.

And of course, the surface under old vinyl is rough and bumpy FRP which would require a fair amount of surface prep to allow for simply painting.

It is true- one job leads to three more jobs of increasing complexity.

Agh,

Thanks

Phil
Old 09-25-2010

Of course nothing is square - it's a boat.

Maybe laminate thin (1/8") strips to follow the curves and attach the panels to that? A picture would help. I looked on Yachtworld and nobody pointed the camera up when taking the pictures.
Old 09-25-2010

I have contemplated laminating finished 1/8" ash to this problem area to make for a pleasing transition. The curves might win out. I am practicing now with junk wood.

What's your thoughts on my fears of the hull flexing sufficiently to pop off the battens from the overhead thereby sending a bunch of 1/2"x2 ash strips tumbling to the sole like popsicle sticks?

These old Tartan 41s were built for racing/cruising. It has a huge main salon with very little bulkheads. They were famous for popping or cracking the ports when heavily loaded by sail. Years ago, I built up the bridge deck with 3/4" ply covered with WEST System and biaxial cloth. And added a 3/4" piece of ply to overhead just forward of hatch slide. I don't beat her hard, but she does get worked and no broken ports or stress cracks anymore. It is this ugly overhead plywood (roughly cut and hastily installed) that I want to cover once and for all with some aesthictically pleasing material.
Working off the ply, I have no problem as it is solid and has stood the test of time. It is the remaining balsa cored overhead that I worry about. The vertical sides of this dome area are not cored for the first portion-simply heavily scheduled FRP. Then the transition begins its roll to flat and the coring comes back into overhead.

I am going to go shoot a few pics and upload. Should be up by tomorrow.

Thanks

Phil
Old 09-25-2010

Here are some pics of my overhead issue with compound curve.
Would like to transition from flat overhead with wood strips through curve and back. Using 1/4"x2 ash strips as overhead.

Thoughts

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing Headliner in Tartan 41 (1974)-dsc_0152.jpg   Replacing Headliner in Tartan 41 (1974)-dsc_0153.jpg   Replacing Headliner in Tartan 41 (1974)-dsc_0158.jpg   Replacing Headliner in Tartan 41 (1974)-dsc_0161.jpg   Replacing Headliner in Tartan 41 (1974)-dsc_0164.jpg  

Old 09-26-2010

I see your problem.
Do you mean you would like to finish the semi-vertical areas where the ports and hatch are the same as the flat overhead?
I think I would do it as 2 separate areas. I would take it back to fiberglass and treat the area where the ports and hatch are as one area, possibly with thin strips of wood with the grain horizontal and the flat overhead in off white panels or wood with the grain running fore and aft. It doesn't look easy though.
Old 09-26-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
WHile admittedly my Jeanneau is a bit smaller, here is a line to the aft stateroom redo, and at the bottom, is a link to how I did my head area. Hopefully some of this will help, give you idea's etc.

My main saloon area is 3/16" or maybe 1/8" door panel type plywood covered in vinyl, screwed to the ceiling. i did this in ALL the flat places where there was deck harware, so it is easier to get to, along with any other flat area, so the foam I added back, one wll not have to worry about it rotting down the road.

marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.