Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-25-2010
s/v Black Prince

stiffwind is on a distinguished road
stuffing box replacement: traditional or dripless

Recently had to replace the prop shaft on my Passport 37. The Tides PSS dripless shaft seal that I wanted to use to replace the traditional stuffing box will not fit in the space between the gear box and where the shaft exits the hull, but apparently the Volvo Rubber stuffing box will fit.
I'm skeptical, has anyone had experience with the Volvo product? Am I better off just reinstalling the original stuffing box? If the Volvo product wears out or has a problem, boat must be hauled and shaft removed, which from my standpoint is an unacceptable option. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
To each their own, but I like the simplicity of the plain old conventional stuffing box. Use Gore GFO or GTU packing material (they're the same thing).

Jim
Old 09-25-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
My my that space must really be short! the PSS is only about the same length as a traditional stuffing box and looking the volvo (I don't like it)
http://www.volvopenta.com/SiteCollec...0%28Eng%29.pdf
It doesn't look all that short either.

I love the PSS

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-25-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
I'd suppose it depends on how your bilges are arranged. On my boat, the engine bilge's much deeper than the other bilges.

I've always found it a bit reassuring to see the drip..drip....drip of the stuffing box. I use the Gore UFO stuffing and find it lasts longer and requires less adjustment than the conventional packing material. I also like the reassuring sound of the bilge pump going off every 8-10 hours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-25-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
the downside of have a dripless seal is the bilge water gets pretty... err.. nasty LOL

my current "project"!
Old 09-25-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Our GTU/GFO-stuffed box doesn't drip that much. After about 1-1/2 to 2 hours of motoring, last weekend, and about the same the weekend before, I looked and there was maybe one or two bilge sponges worth of water in there. I left it.

Jim
Old 09-25-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
I have a Volvo dripless on my B393. I have had no problems in 6 seasons (6 months each) of winter cruising. Volvo says they should be replaced every 500 hours!! I prefer a conventional stuffing box, no catastrophic failures.

I have a conventional stuffing box in my CS36M. Barely drips, shaft is cool and the water runs down under the engine and evaporates. No salt accumulation either. I'm in Lake Ontario.

Old 09-25-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
the downside of have a dripless seal is the bilge water gets pretty... err.. nasty LOL
What bilge water? If you have a PSS and water in the blige, your PSS is ready for rebuild
Another good thing about a PSS is you won't have to worry about losing a prop shaft, because the PSS will act as a retainer and keep the shaft from leaving the boat.
Old 09-26-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Have had the Volvo for three maybe four years now and am more than happy with it.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 09-26-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
What bilge water? If you have a PSS and water in the blige, your PSS is ready for rebuild.

NOT just put it in about 2 yrs ago. Water In comes in from rainstorms,in the fixed windows and a few places not found

Oh, for those that have conventional stuffing boxes. the shaft zinc can be installed a few inches before a cutless bearing if they have the strut type, it will ALSO retain the shaft

And I thought the OP was asking for advice

my current "project"!