Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010

Annapolisboater is on a distinguished road
tinted acrylic is an affordable option

We are familiar with this situation, and since we are a maritime plastics bizz we make them out of tinted acrylics...and they are always happy to see who is boarding from their seats inside...and tinted acrylic - while not the look of wood...do have a bling factor. Find a [edit] shops folks...you will be doing the best thing in getting quotes from them

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 09-28-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: no free advertising in the forums, per user agreement
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
We keep our original and stronger crib boards for offshore in harsh weather, but we like our decorative plastic for the casual times.

We like the three layers of polycarbonate with the center layer cut out to accomodate a stained glass insert. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
JimMcGee likes this.
Old 12-01-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: Companionway doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
Yes, I know the dangers of weather exposure with plywood. It is well sealed with spar varnish and we only use it on weekends when we are actually on the boat. I expect it to last a very long time considering how few hours it is exposed.
Tried the towel approach and didn't like it. The doors work great.

Yes guys, I get your hint that it doesn't look so hot but it works for me and the wife is happy - not just happy, but extremely happy. As long as she is happy, life is good.
actually, it may not be a shipman80 kind of job, but it looks pretty nice. but that's just my opinion and opinions are just like.....
Old 12-01-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
actually, it may not be a shipman80 kind of job, but it looks pretty nice. but that's just my opinion and opinions are just like.....
thanks for the kind words 3 years later. considering my limited wood working ability and the tools I had to work with, the doors came out pretty decent...for oak veneer plywood. I'm happy to say that 3 years later, they look the same.
Old 12-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
thanks for the kind words 3 years later. considering my limited wood working ability and the tools I had to work with, the doors came out pretty decent...for oak veneer plywood. I'm happy to say that 3 years later, they look the same.
that's cool. lol. i wasn't on this site three years ago or i'd have said the same then. i am getting ready to do the same thing on my cal 27. i do construction for a living and, except for the use of 'better' wood, i don't think i could do a better job. i think you deserve some kudos for your work.

actually, i didn't find this thread because i was looking for it. i found it because i was looking at on-line images of companionway doors and i clicked on the pic of your doors, because i liked them. it led me here.
Old 12-02-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Here's my solution - I wanted more light below for rainy and gloomy days.

They are Lexan sheet sandwiched with a frame made of two layers of red oak, stained to more or less teak colour.

I thought that two boards would be less hassle than 3. Not as nice as doors that open and close, though....
Faster likes this.
Old 12-02-2013

cool. it almost looks like they are mirrored
Old 12-02-2013

i'm not sure how i am going to do mine, yet. i kind of like the idea of having windows in them. i have seen some nice ones. it would let in more light ( yours probably really light up the cabin a lot ) but it would take away your privacy, too. i like the idea of solid ones, like Chuck's, because they give you that privacy and they don't advertise what is inside, when you aren't there. but, then, you can't see who might be on board. i have been considering solid with tinted, smallish, round port lights. maybe something trimmed in bronze. you can sometimes catch them at a good price on ebay.

still deliberating, though.
Old 12-02-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The doors look great. While I would have cautioned their longevity three years ago as well, I'm glad they held up.

I thought I would offer our solution to a day cover. We have a custom piece of sunbrella, cut and bound to fit around the entire companionway, including around the sliding top hatch. This has female snaps around the edges to secure to screwed down male snaps in the fiberglass.

A hole is then cut into the enclosure approx 4 inches from the edge, creating a fabric frame around the opening. Another piece is cut approx one inch larger than the interior opening and sewn across the fore edge. This flap can then roll up or down over the companionway, with the sliding hatch closed. Velcro is sewn in a few spots along the edge to hold it down. Just dropping it from the inside secures the velcro. No pressure necessary. Ours is solid, but I suppose you could put some eisenglass in it, although, I'm not sure how easily it would roll.

We also have a couple of straps sewn on the top, so it can be secured in the rolled up position.

Much lighter than wood, no additional stuff to store and very easy to enter and exit. Even when we reinstall the plexi board that goes in when we leave, we still pull the sunbrella cover over it to prevent light from entering the cabin. Good heat and UV control.

p.s. We have a flexible screen as well, with a zipper sewn around the interior, however, never use it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 12-02-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old 12-02-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Your solution looks good!

I decided to "build" (cut out and shape) a second set of drop boards. I wanted a winter set so the teak boards were not suffering on the boat during storage. It required my router. I sealed the marine plywood carefully with a couple of coats of white two part epoxy paint. I like the white drop boards better than my teak ones. Easy to make and inexpensive. Adding a top board with screen was simple, too. I don't need to be as careful when handling and storing them now. The teak trim around the white drop boards looks just fine.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 12-02-2013 at 08:13 AM.