Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-27-2010

bandit1 is on a distinguished road
Wire/Rope Halyard question

My spin halyard came out the top of the mast so now that it has inconveniently come out I was considering changing it. It is half rope and half wire. Why was it made that way? Is this a good set up to have or am I better off with all rope? any opinions?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
For a Spin IMHO all rope would be way better.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 09-27-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
All rope....dyneema.....but depending on thickness you may have to replace masthead sheeve

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
Old 09-27-2010
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
I believe rope/wire halyards where popular in the past due to the high stretch rate of ropes from times past. By using half wire, you could reduce the overall stretch by half, but still be able to handle the rope end which is easier then handling wire.

More recent rope types have a lot less stretch, so usually rope/wire is not needed anymore. Just after the bought our current boat, we had all the rigging replaced. It had rope/wire halyards, and the riggers strongly recommended we change them. We had to replace the sheaves at the mast head, and due to the size of the mast head we had to have custom sheaves made and use a slightly smaller diameter, high tech high strength rope. Removing the cost of having them due the rope to wire splices pretty much covered the cost of the conversion as no one wants to do those splices anymore if they do not have to. (At least they didn't).

I would recommend changing to all rope if possible. If your spinnaker halyard runs through a block on the mast like mine, rather then through the masthead sheaves, this should not be to difficult.
Old 09-27-2010

bruceyp is on a distinguished road
What about a main halyard or Jib halyard? I too have wire/rope and was thinking of replacing them this winter. Can I go all rope? Does the mast need to come down to check the sheaves?
BP
Old 09-27-2010
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceyp View Post
What about a main halyard or Jib halyard? I too have wire/rope and was thinking of replacing them this winter. Can I go all rope? Does the mast need to come down to check the sheaves?
BP
Yes - All rope is better - Dyneema and Spectra have less stretch than wire, and you can get pre-stretched Polyester that is good enough.
It's easier with the mast down, but a bosuns chair will get you there too. Please ensure that the sheaves are totally smooth inside, or they will ruin your new halyards..
Old 09-27-2010
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderGuy View Post
I believe rope/wire halyards where popular in the past due to the high stretch rate of ropes from times past. By using half wire, you could reduce the overall stretch by half, but still be able to handle the rope end which is easier then handling wire.
Even better - you winched almost all of the rope down when raising the sail, so that you basically had all wire..
Old 09-27-2010

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceyp View Post
BP
I converted wire/rope to all rope stayset x for main and jib. I do not like the staset x for the main as it is too stiff and does not run out smoothly. Inevitably a loop will kink as I'm lowering the main. Plus, after sailing for half an hour or so I have to go and reset the main due to stretch in the halyard/luff. For the jib, I have since installed a CD roller which has an internal wire halyard, which eliminates unecessary fiddling around. If doing over I would either go back to wire/rope or find a more suitable no stretch rope, one that was more supple and would run out without kinking and would coil up more easily.
John
Old 09-27-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
On the 35' we have T900 and while its about as LOW stretch as it gets i still feel the big advantage is NO fishhooks from the wire

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 09-27-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
On the 35' we have T900 and while its about as LOW stretch as it gets i still feel the big advantage is NO fishhooks from the wire
We replaced all four halyards with 5/16" T-900 about a decade ago. Better than wire and reduces weight aloft quite a bit also.

L