SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Webasto Air Conditioning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/68615-webasto-air-conditioning.html)

JimMcGee 09-27-2010 12:20 PM

Webasto Air Conditioning

All,

I have a '95 Catalina 30 and after seeing temps aboard hit 107 this summer I'm taking the plunge and installing AC when I haul out this winter. I'm looking at the 12,000 BTU Webasto reverse cycle heat/AC unit as they're supposed to be the quietest. link

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who's installed one of these good or bad, and anything that was a surprise during the install. As for location, I'm thinking of under the v-berth just forward of the head and just off the centerline. I'll T-off the raw water intake for the head since we only use fresh water in the head anyway.

We're located on Barnegat Bay in New Jersey, so 12,000 BTU seems to be about right and the heat will be nice in the spring and fall.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

chuck53 09-27-2010 01:10 PM

For a 30 footer, 12k BTU is more than enough.

Stillraining 09-27-2010 01:12 PM

I just installed 2 of them Jim...a 9K unit and a 16K unit...I have not had a chance to try them out at all yet bet when I do I will let you know....Sorry doesn't help you much right now.

Nice appearing units and FWIW Defender has them on sale right now..or did a couple weeks ago.

jackytdunaway 09-27-2010 06:12 PM

I installed a 9,000 FCF unit in Aug. i am very happy with it. It is not as quiet as i think it should be but the noise i hear is mostly the blower. i am working on that so it may get better. what ever dimension the unit says it is you need to add a few inches in all directions for clearance

JimMcGee 09-29-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck53 (Post 648538)
For a 30 footer, 12k BTU is more than enough.

Chuck, I've seen a number of theories on sizing AC units for sailboats. When I talked to the Webasto guy at Annapolis last year he thought the 9K might be a little undersized on really hot days and recommended the 12K.

A unique thing on our boat is I have a set of removable companionway doors. That adds a lot of additional glass area compared to hatch boards.

Jim

JimMcGee 09-29-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackytdunaway (Post 648662)
I installed a 9,000 FCF unit in Aug. i am very happy with it. It is not as quiet as i think it should be but the noise i hear is mostly the blower. i am working on that so it may get better. what ever dimension the unit says it is you need to add a few inches in all directions for clearance

Jack, when you say you're working on the blower noise, is it a ducting issue?

Jim

chuck53 09-29-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMcGee (Post 649268)
Chuck, I've seen a number of theories on sizing AC units for sailboats. When I talked to the Webasto guy at Annapolis last year he thought the 9K might be a little undersized on really hot days and recommended the 12K.

Jim

I agree that a 9k is going to be a little small on a hot day. But for me, I'm more concerned about my sleeping comfort and at night, an oversized unit will cool down quickly and the compressor won't run much during the night. When that happens, your humidity levels will go up. When it comes to comfort, low humidity is just as important as low temps.

I know because that is what is happening to me now. I put a 16K in my Catalina 34. I wanted the 14k but it had been discontinued so we went to the 16. I have to keep my thermostat in the low 60's to keep the humidity levels down.

Some years ago, we had a Catalina 30 and we used a CruiseAire 5k BTU unit in the hatch. Didn't do much during the heat of the day, but once the sun went down, it got comfortable and if I had turned the thermostat all the way down, I probably could have had the temps in the mid 60's by the next morning.
Based on our experience with the 30, I think the 9k unit would have worked great.

jackytdunaway 09-29-2010 05:53 PM

Jim,
I think it might be a ducting issue. i am have a plenum built that i hope will give smoother air flow and hopefully cut down on noise. i will not know for sure until i install it.