Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-27-2010

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Webasto Air Conditioning

All,

I have a '95 Catalina 30 and after seeing temps aboard hit 107 this summer I'm taking the plunge and installing AC when I haul out this winter. I'm looking at the 12,000 BTU Webasto reverse cycle heat/AC unit as they're supposed to be the quietest. link

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who's installed one of these good or bad, and anything that was a surprise during the install. As for location, I'm thinking of under the v-berth just forward of the head and just off the centerline. I'll T-off the raw water intake for the head since we only use fresh water in the head anyway.

We're located on Barnegat Bay in New Jersey, so 12,000 BTU seems to be about right and the heat will be nice in the spring and fall.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2010

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
For a 30 footer, 12k BTU is more than enough.
Old 09-27-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I just installed 2 of them Jim...a 9K unit and a 16K unit...I have not had a chance to try them out at all yet bet when I do I will let you know....Sorry doesn't help you much right now.

Nice appearing units and FWIW Defender has them on sale right now..or did a couple weeks ago.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 09-27-2010
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
I installed a 9,000 FCF unit in Aug. i am very happy with it. It is not as quiet as i think it should be but the noise i hear is mostly the blower. i am working on that so it may get better. what ever dimension the unit says it is you need to add a few inches in all directions for clearance
Old 09-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
For a 30 footer, 12k BTU is more than enough.
Chuck, I've seen a number of theories on sizing AC units for sailboats. When I talked to the Webasto guy at Annapolis last year he thought the 9K might be a little undersized on really hot days and recommended the 12K.

A unique thing on our boat is I have a set of removable companionway doors. That adds a lot of additional glass area compared to hatch boards.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 09-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackytdunaway View Post
I installed a 9,000 FCF unit in Aug. i am very happy with it. It is not as quiet as i think it should be but the noise i hear is mostly the blower. i am working on that so it may get better. what ever dimension the unit says it is you need to add a few inches in all directions for clearance
Jack, when you say you're working on the blower noise, is it a ducting issue?

Jim

Old 09-29-2010

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Chuck, I've seen a number of theories on sizing AC units for sailboats. When I talked to the Webasto guy at Annapolis last year he thought the 9K might be a little undersized on really hot days and recommended the 12K.

Jim
I agree that a 9k is going to be a little small on a hot day. But for me, I'm more concerned about my sleeping comfort and at night, an oversized unit will cool down quickly and the compressor won't run much during the night. When that happens, your humidity levels will go up. When it comes to comfort, low humidity is just as important as low temps.

I know because that is what is happening to me now. I put a 16K in my Catalina 34. I wanted the 14k but it had been discontinued so we went to the 16. I have to keep my thermostat in the low 60's to keep the humidity levels down.

Some years ago, we had a Catalina 30 and we used a CruiseAire 5k BTU unit in the hatch. Didn't do much during the heat of the day, but once the sun went down, it got comfortable and if I had turned the thermostat all the way down, I probably could have had the temps in the mid 60's by the next morning.
Based on our experience with the 30, I think the 9k unit would have worked great.
Old 09-29-2010
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
Jim,
I think it might be a ducting issue. i am have a plenum built that i hope will give smoother air flow and hopefully cut down on noise. i will not know for sure until i install it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.