Not a Member? 
Old 09-29-2010

Bloke is on a distinguished road
bugg*r - I cant say sh*t on this site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I like the jack idea perhaps with the guitar string first. My Bristol's C/B trunk has a sea **** that is threaded on the inside. The boat came with about four feet of aluminum tube that is threaded at one end and has a large dowel (1"?). You take a cover off the sea ****, thread the pipe into the fitting and then use a hammer on the dowel. Haven't needed it yet, but that is how they want it done.

If you tried the banging trick, the next one would be the jack with a very wide support and a judicious hand on the crank.

For the person who asked about a 2000 lb boat with a C/B, my boat is 36K+ and Hood designed centerboarders much larger than my boat.
Old 09-29-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
My 7000# boat also has a c/b.
We were able to dislodge ours by motoring on some Hudson River chop.
Our c/b was stuck from marine growth in the trunk which grows there every year.
Sounds like you need to try your guitar string idea.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
my friend has an F24--way cool boat-- and had the same problem... not very scientific, but he scubaed up and hit it a couple of times with a 2x4--i told him he was using the 'hitech' method-- just pointing out that he had the same problem w/o the paint job--he bopped it on the trailer at a crawl as it wasnt all the way up.

another thing you might want to keep an eye on that he had to replace, the plastic on the sides of the rudder is kind of thin, and over time they got a bit degraded (he always throws it in the cabin, so maybe the friction of the cassette over time caused it?) so he had to put some new ones on

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Last edited by QuickMick; 09-29-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-29-2010
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
QuickMick - funny you should say that.

After pondering all the "advanced" methods I finally decided to try a "bigger stick" (I was too careful before, tried a few pieces of lumber that were just too small, I guess). Found the biggest piece of lumber that I could swim with and fit in behind the cb, stuck it there and pried cb open (mainly by hitting it and cursing a lot). It's amazing how hard it is to hold onto something underwater to exert any type of pressure.

Now I also understand why it was so hard to move this thing down. Not only was it stuck but the cb is also *very* buoyant. So much so that if you let it go from down position, it will float up to where it gets stuck (and almost jammed my hand in process). I think it has at least 40lbs of buoyancy. That means anything used to dislodge it has to counteract this force first.

Well, now that the entire cb trunk is taken apart - I guess I have an unscheduled project of replacing the pennants (they are pretty new but since I already have this thing open, might as well), and then re-closing it. Also got to sand down sides of cb trunk underwater somehow. Is there sand-paper that won't turn into mush underwater?
Old 09-29-2010

this might work, but it is VERY abrasive, ive used it to sand the edges of glass panes.

Check-Out
SPW5-SERIES

Click on Picture

IRON ROCK SPW5-SERIES wet/dry Peel & Stick sand discs with tab are made with hardest silicon carbide grains, epoxy bonded and can be used dry or wet over and over. To guarantee a deep luster finish start with 60 grit using all 7 grits through 600 for a deep finish. Pressure Sensitive Adhesive Disc. Size 5", 100 per pack.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 09-29-2010

also, a bit off topic, he has a boatlift in his slip and if that baby is not tied off just so it has a tendancy to heel over in high winds on the lift, just would hate to see you hurt your new toy....or the neighbors... lol.

glad you got her un-stuck.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 09-29-2010
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
also, a bit off topic, he has a boatlift in his slip and if that baby is not tied off just so it has a tendancy to heel over in high winds on the lift, just would hate to see you hurt your new toy....or the neighbors... lol.

glad you got her un-stuck.
I keep the boat with one float open - it's quite stable that way.

For high winds (we just had some tonight), I opened the other float - it just sits there. Fortunately, no one across the canal right now so there is lots of room for everyone to pass.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.