Help putting Winch back together - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of Old 10-03-2010 Thread Starter

Help putting Winch back together

Just serviced one of my old Lewmar ST16's (single speed). Everything went back fine except that the Collets (retaining clips) are riding a little bit high and don't want to go back in their slots. I reviewed the diagram and everything seems correct. I tapped the Collets in with a plastic hammer. The winch functions, but the durm has more resistance than it should. Pictures of the Collets in place, and the Collet slots with the drum removed below. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Lewmar 16 w Collets in place.jpg   Colet  slots with winch hub removed.jpg  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-03-2010 Thread Starter

Never mind!

Figured it out. The Upper and lower Crown have a male/female tab that has to mesh for proper positioning. I didn't have them in position, so the male tab was holding the Upper Crown (the piece in the first picture that reads "mar" and 16) up slightly on one side, and it was rubbing on the Feeder Arm.

Last edited by L124C; 10-03-2010 at 03:53 PM.
post #3 of Old 10-04-2010
Old as Dirt!

A useful trick to ensure one gets their winches back together (aside from laying out the parts in the order they are removed) is to keep a small digital camera handy and snap a pic as each part is removed. When reassembling the winch one can just sequence back through the snaps to double check how things go together. I service our winches annually and since we have many of different sizes, I keep a flash disk for the camera, with the sequence for each winch in separate folders, in my nav table. It comes in very handy, especially now that my memory is beginning to weaken.

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.