Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-03-2010

L124C is on a distinguished road
Help putting Winch back together

Just serviced one of my old Lewmar ST16's (single speed). Everything went back fine except that the Collets (retaining clips) are riding a little bit high and don't want to go back in their slots. I reviewed the diagram and everything seems correct. I tapped the Collets in with a plastic hammer. The winch functions, but the durm has more resistance than it should. Pictures of the Collets in place, and the Collet slots with the drum removed below. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Help putting Winch back together-lewmar-16-w-collets-place.jpg   Help putting Winch back together-colet-slots-winch-hub-removed.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2010

L124C is on a distinguished road
Never mind!

Figured it out. The Upper and lower Crown have a male/female tab that has to mesh for proper positioning. I didn't have them in position, so the male tab was holding the Upper Crown (the piece in the first picture that reads "mar" and 16) up slightly on one side, and it was rubbing on the Feeder Arm.

Last edited by L124C; 10-03-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
A useful trick to ensure one gets their winches back together (aside from laying out the parts in the order they are removed) is to keep a small digital camera handy and snap a pic as each part is removed. When reassembling the winch one can just sequence back through the snaps to double check how things go together. I service our winches annually and since we have many of different sizes, I keep a flash disk for the camera, with the sequence for each winch in separate folders, in my nav table. It comes in very handy, especially now that my memory is beginning to weaken.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."