Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-09-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmsmatt View Post
Wait about 6 months and take the pics again.
No power dissipation (heat sinks) or temp control on the LEDs.
They will fade/degrade.
You wasted your money.
You can't mount a high power LED on an FR4 PC board with no temp compensation or ability to dissipate heat without adversely affecting the LED.
You will exceed the junction temps of the device over time and the LED's performance will degrade.
We will see how it goes. This is a work in progress. Keep in mind that I'm not a live-aboard and will only be using the boat for weekends and a couple week-long cruises for the next couple years. I'll definitely update as I notice any changes.

How long did these particular bulbs last for you?

Quote:
Keep your halogens. You will want to use them again when you LEDs aren't putting out enough light to light to read by in a few months.
Yup. I kept them all to use for replacements in case of failure.

Quote:
Paying $40.00 once is far cheaper than paying $16 three times.
I agree.

Quote:
Good Luck
Thanks.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
CD—

Could it be that you just got two bad Sensibulbs? Are they from the same manufacturing lot? I seriously doubt that Sensibulb would put out a bluish tint bulb if they could avoid it in any way, given their reputation in the marketplace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-11-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
I just got back from the show, the new bulbs definitely do NOT put out a "blueish" hue. They have one of the new ones right next to a halogen bulb, and if you look at them straight on, the sensibulb is a little whiter (which to me is good!) and if you put your hand under them, the light reflecting off is nearly identical. I have some pictures I took but can't post them until I get home (wednesday) One thing is for sure, that single LED is very bright and puts out a very smooth and even light, I really like them and will be putting them in my boat

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 10-12-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay. Had other more pressing matters.

Well, I will show you the pics I took. I tried to show them side by side so you could see the difference. First a pic showing the difference between the two products:

To the left is the old sensibulb, to the right is the new one. THe new bulb has a single LED, the old has two.

Now to the difference. This first pic is a sensibulb compared to a halogen. THis is the new sensibulb. The sensibulb is to the right. Now please understand that it is hard to show color like this in a picture... it was the best I could do.

THis next pic is a pic of the new Sensibulb against the old sensibulb. The new sensibulb is to the right.

To me, at least in person, there is a distinct difference. It is harder to show it in a picture. Sorry. But maybe you can see what I am talking about? Also, when it reflects against the wood or other shiny surfaces, it becomes more apparent. If it reflects against dull sirfaces, it becomes less apparent. Because all of our wood is glossy, it may be more apparent in our boat than other boats.

Now, I want to say several things in all fairness. First, this is MY (and my wife and kids) opinions. You may not think this looks blue at all. You may put this bulb in your boat and think it looks green or pink. I am not being a smart A, I am simply saying that all of our eyes are different and we may see colors differently. But to us, on our boat, it is BLUE. Not white. Not yellow. It is BLUE.

Second, and this may be more important, I think this BLUE is much more apparent when it is mixed. I did not want to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on LED's and pull out perfectly fine Halogens. So I am replacing them one at a time as the halogens burn out. When I mixed the old Sensibulbs and the halogens, I could not tell any difference. When I mixed the new Sensibulbs and Halogens (and against the old sensibulbs) there was a sharp contrast. As such, for anyone that is planning on pulling out all their LED's and replacing them all at the same time, you may not notice a big difference. MAY NOT NOTICE.... I must say again. We tried simply putting the new ones in our center lights and we still felt it was blue... but not quite as noticeable as when the other lights are on.

SO there you go. I hope this helps. I still think Sensibulb makes a superior products, but I doubt I will be investing in them any more and will save my money until I can find more yellow bulbs or I will stick with halogens because I do not like blue. It looks too much like a flourescent to me (us).

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-12-2010
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
I can definitely see it in your pics, CD. Maybe it would be worth sending a picture to the Sensibulb folks to see if your results are what they would expect. If not, could be a bad batch.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 10-12-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
It's really tough to tell from the pictures but I would have to say the ones I have don't seem that much off in a direct comparison?

What I DO notice though is just how much WIDER the beam width is on the new model when compared to the old ones. That spread is a fair number of degrees wider than the older models and why I really prefer them over the older models in overhead lighting fixtures.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-12-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
It's really tough to tell from the pictures but I would have to say the ones I have don't seem that much off in a direct comparison?

What I DO notice though is just how much WIDER the beam width is on the new model when compared to the old ones. That spread is a fair number of degrees wider than the older models and why I really prefer them over the older models in overhead lighting fixtures.
They are also brighter (the new ones) than the older sensibulbs. At least they appear that way to me. But still blue. Whether dull blue or bright blue, it is still blue. And quite candidly, I did not tell much of a difference between the halogens and the old sensibulbs as far as brightness. I would honestly say that when you put old sensibulbs in (mixed with halogens), it would be hard to tell a difference except that maybe the sensiblubs were brighter and sharper. But whatever... if I can't get anymore, it is like crying over spilled milk.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-13-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Here are pics I took of the new bulb at the show next to a halogen, I'm very impressed with these, if they hold up over time they seem well worth it...

It "looks" dimmer, but that's probably because it doesn't shine nearly as much light on the fixture. It doesn't look bluer, it does look more white.

Now, with my hand under both the light output and color look nearly identical, matter of fact the halogen on the right looks whiter to me...

EXIF data to show no color balance monkeying going on, there was also no post processing other than resizing...

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Image Date: 2010:10:11 14:26:26
Focal Length: 18mm
Aperture: f/3.5
Exposure Time: 0.050 s (1/20)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: program (Auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Color Space: sRGB

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.

Last edited by eMKay; 10-13-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-13-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
Here are pics I took of the new bulb at the show next to a halogen, I'm very impressed with these, if they hold up over time they seem well worth it...

It "looks" dimmer, but that's probably because it doesn't shine nearly as much light on the fixture. It doesn't look bluer, it does look more white.

Now, with my hand under both the light output and color look nearly identical, matter of fact the halogen on the right looks whiter to me...

EXIF data to show no color balance monkeying going on, there was also no post processing other than resizing...

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Image Date: 2010:10:11 14:26:26
Focal Length: 18mm
Aperture: f/3.5
Exposure Time: 0.050 s (1/20)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: program (Auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Color Space: sRGB
I am beginning to wonder if I have a bad set?? Do you see the color difference in my pics? Very different from yours. ANd again, I want to stress, it is hard to show blue in a pic so what you see as blue is REALLY blue (at least to me).

I will reach out to the sensibulb folks with my pics.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-13-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

I have spoken with Scad again this morning. I have sent them the pics. We may end up exchanging them for the older set. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

They were very nice about this over the phone... and a bit perplexed because I seem to be the only person that has brought up this issue.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.