Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-06-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Sensibulb Caution

Hi All,

I have long been an advocate of their products. THey produce a good (albeit very expensive) bulb that has been hard to tell it was a LED. However, I recently purchased two more Sensibulbs and have to tell you that thehy have changed their manufacturing. The new bulbs give off a blue light versus the very pleasant warm, yellow light that they were known for. This blue light reminds me of a flourescent and will come is very sharp contrast to other Halogens or the older Sensibulbs.

I contacted Sensibulb and they did indeed tell me that they have changed their manufacturing. There were a number of reasons for it, but the bottom line is that I do not believe we will be seeing the old bulbs any more.

You will be able to tell the old from new by a simple glance at them in the package. The old LED's will have two 'yellow' looking LED's versus the new ones which have a single 'yellow' LED. There really isn't much else to tell from the package that will seperate them. But once you plug them in, you will probably be able to tell a significant difference, especially when placed beside Halogens or older Sensibulbs.

Basically, anyone considering a purchase of this product, shoudl be aware of the changes as they will no longer match your other lights. And if you decide to replace all of the LED's, they will put out a 'blue' hue which is very undesirable to me (others may be fine with it). But given the extraordinary cost of these (nearly $40/piece if not more), I would certainly entertain looking at the many other LED manufacturers as there no longer appears to be any difference between them... or just stay with your old Halogens until a suitable warm LED comes back on the market.

Brian

PS I wiill try and shoot some pics this evening to illustrate the difference... it is just daylight now so I cannot do it.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2010
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
Here I was all mad that I bought the Sensibulb a couple of days before they came out with the "new and improved" version... thanks CD.
Old 10-06-2010

copacabana is on a distinguished road
40 bucks seems a bit pricey for LED bulbs. I'm in the middle of changing virtually everything on the boat to LED, including reading lights, overhead lights and deck and nav lights. I've had no trouble finding the 'warm' white LED bulbs in all shapes and sizes (all Chinese, of course). So far the light has been acceptable, although not as nice as incandescent bulbs. I was offered the choice between plain 'white' LEDs which, as CD points out, are more 'blue' than white. I couldn't stand the light they gave off and just stuck with the 'warm' ones. I know the plain 'white' (blue) ones are more energy efficient, but we're talking milliamps here. FYI, I don't think I paid more than US$20.00 per bulb, and I managed to use all my old fixtures.
Old 10-06-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
I bought a cheap LED reading light a few years ago that worked fine when the battery voltage was up, but it sucked when the voltage was getting low. I pulled it back out and put back in the 12 volt cfl fixture.

How well do these new LED replacement bulbs perform when the voltage starts getting low?
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 10-06-2010

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Mine have been fine so far. If the voltage goes down (and it went way down - don't ask me why!), they just dim a bit. I think the new LED bulbs are very different than the older generation ones. They are very reliable today, not to mention the amazing variety of configurations they come in now. I'm even using LED strips, which you can cut to length and make your own 'bulbs' with (such as by lining an inverted plastic cup).
Old 10-06-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
CD, thanx for the warning - more LED bulbs were on our shopping list for the boat show this year, but now I'm guessing we'll be getting them from sailor solutions instead of sensibulb.
Old 10-06-2010

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
I purchased from Mastlight at the show last year and have been very happy with their bulbs. They're a warm white and if I remember correctly I paid about $10/bulb (G4 base). I'm going to pick up some more from them this year, and I want a brighter bulb for the bulkhead light.

mastlight.com

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 10-06-2010
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
CD, thanx for the warning - more LED bulbs were on our shopping list for the boat show this year, but now I'm guessing we'll be getting them from sailor solutions instead of sensibulb.
Sailor Solutions is supplying the new Sensibulb.
Old 10-06-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
One of the problems we have found of late is that the definition of 'warm white' has become somewhat fluid. Traditionally 'warm white' was 2700k but today we are seeing 3000k plus lamps branded as 'warm white'. This applies to both CFL and LED light sources.

I've got a bunch of LED lamps in my car , ready to install into our old incandescent fixtures and to replace the halogens in our reading lamps. Should get this done on the weekend, will report back.

ps - the wombats run an architectural lighting business. Quite frankly I think that for residential use the whole CFL/LED v Halogen debate is a load of old hooey if only because lighting is not a major component of the typcal residential energy bill, presuming of course they get turned off occasionally. To my great surprise, for the likes of Osram and Philips CFL/LED has been a nice little earner.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-06-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
My experience with the new Sensibulbs is totally different from CD's. I also have both old and new and the new ones, while slightly cooler in color temp, are a very comfortable color in our cabin and are not "blue" at all. If you look at them next to the old ones they are indeed more "blue" looking but I don't find them to be cold at all in the cabin and neither does my wife who HATED most every LED I have tried. She never noticed the switch from old style Sensibulb to new though I did stick all of the old ones in the head and v-berth to separate them. I believe the original bulbs were about 2700 and the new ones are about 2900 color temp wise.

The new bulbs are also significantly brighter about 180 lumens vs. the 130 or so for the older ones. They also have a much wider beam width and spread than the old ones did. They are STILL very, very well designed and create no radio interference something no other LED that I know of can claim..

I would be GLAD to trade my old versions for the new style if CD wants to...?? Can't recall how many old vs. new I have but all are new this past August due to a lightning strike. The old style came from Defender and I was pissed when I got them that they were old stock so I ordered directly from Nick at Sailors Solutions..

New vs. Old:

New:

Old:

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-06-2010 at 05:36 PM.