SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Hatch Replacement on C&C 25 mkII (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/68873-hatch-replacement-c-c-25-mkii.html)

Matto 10-07-2010 12:06 PM

Hatch Replacement on C&C 25 mkII

Hi all,

I am looking to fix my leaky deck hatch on my 1983 C&C 25 mk II. I have decided that I would prefer to replace the whole thing with a modern Lewmar or Bomar hatch since the existing hatch is generally kind of crappy looking. My problem lies in the fact that from what I can measure the outer dimensions of the hatch are 20 1/4'' x 20 1/4" and the cut-out is approximately 19"x19" and I can't find a manufacturer that has an appropriately sized replacement hatch. Has anybody else replaced a hatch on this era of C&C? Are there any good methods of getting a modern hatch into the existing hole? What kind of options are available to me if not? I've only had the boat a year and this is the first major project that I am undertaking so forgive me if I'm not all that savvy in the field of boat repair (though I'd like to be). Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

tommays 10-07-2010 01:08 PM

There are two issues size as you have found and corner radius which you may have overlooked tends to be bigger on new hatchs

So even if you find one for a 19 x 19 hole you have to check the radius as it may not fill the hole

I found it better to rebuild and not have to cut a new hole and drill new holes and if the hatch is on a raised section of the deck to make a flat area thats a real can of worms

FDR14127 10-10-2010 12:38 PM

If C&C built it, these are the folks that provided it. They have an active rebuild program and to save yourself a lot of grief I would talk to them first. (no matter what you decide to do).

Matto 10-15-2010 11:51 PM

@FDR14127

I don't see any link in your post. Sounds like a good one if you could repost!
Thanks!

Faster 10-16-2010 08:20 AM

C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center is a place to start... Down the left side of the page is a menu including DIY (incl hatch replacement) and members forum.

Keep in mind you can get hatches in a surface mount or a flange lip configuration (the latter has a lip that slides into the deck opening) Perhaps you should be looking for a surface mount that is more forgiving for slight offset in hole size. The lipped hatches provide a more finished look inside with less work.

C&C may have produced their own hatches but my recollection is that they used Bomar, at least for a time.

olson34 10-16-2010 10:49 AM

Atkins & Hoyle Ltd. - #1 Davits, Cranes, Roll Ons, Hatches, Marine Accessories

Supplied hatches for lots of the 70's and 80's C&C's and Hinterhoellers.

Give 'em a call.

FDR14127 10-18-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDR14127 (Post 652957)
If C&C built it, these are the folks that provided it. They have an active rebuild program and to save yourself a lot of grief I would talk to them first. (no matter what you decide to do).

see Olsen's post
to hard to reply on Android ...

FDR14127 10-18-2010 11:09 PM

Atkins & Hoyle in Toronto ...