Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-07-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Lady J, week 10.5, almost too busy to get up here...

It's been a while since the last report as we've been busy but here goes. After looking at options for the transom, which is ratty plywood, I settled on covering the ply with a nice, figured Honduran Mahogany veneer. We cut it to fit using a template, spread thickened epoxy and placed it. It proved to be difficult to get the bubbles out and the edges flat with such a large piece. This is how it looked after we finished applying it.

We still had to add more bracing to get the edges flat.

The next day, I checked it out and didn't like it. From five feet away it was fine but I don't tolerate that. We peeled it off with heat guns and putty knives. Needless to say, it wasn't a painless process. I spent the next two days repairing the damage.

This time, I'm going to separate the planks in the veneer with heat (I found this when taking the other off) and lay them up individually. This should be a more manageable process.

The boys have been busting their humps on the brightwork both inside and out. They finished prep on the exterior and I applied CPES prior to varnish.

and

The interior is about 80% prepped and will gert coated this week.

and

My new detail guy is terrific. He takes some of the load off of me.

There's still a good bit of interior parts to be done.

and

During this time, the owner decided he didn't like the look of the seam compound as some of it had soaked up stain and other parts hadn't. He disliked it enough that if I couldn't fix it, he was ready to paint the boat instead. After some trial and error, I came up with something that worked. He was happy and here's the result.

Of course it will turn amber with the varnish but as long as it's uniform, that's cool. Another issue popped up with the mast. It continued to separate at the seams just sitting level on the rack so we decided it was time to rebuild it. Here's a series of teardown pictures. Trust me, this isn't for the faint of heart...

Yesterday

This morning

Tonight

Some of the seams popped cleanly

Some are ugly and will require a lot of work to get straight and clean

Where the old resourcinal held up was impossible to separate and had to be sawn. I'll likely have to scarph in a bit along that area but that's ok. I lined up some old growth Sitka Spruce today in case.

Finally, there was this little bit of fairing for the depth sounder from Sapele that I carved on the bandsaw. I like it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Wish I were there! sigh.. Charlie, is there a chance you could vacuum bag the veneer planks on the transom?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-07-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I don't know. I'll have to talk with my glass and epoxy guy about it. I figured that with them smaller and the new roller I got, I should get them to lay down this time ok. Adhesion wasn't the issue.

Old 10-07-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Dude - it just gets amazinger and amazinger.

Great work you guys.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-07-2010
On the hard

I reckon I might as well ad wooden spar rebuilding and construction to the repertoire eh? I'm not sure how many shops offer that service.

Old 10-07-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Monumental stuff! Is the cold coming for you guys soon? I'm buttoning up our girl for the winter... Looks like you'll be inside anyhow, but it takes a while to heat a cold shop!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 10-07-2010
On the hard

Yes it does. We just had our Indian Summer and the rain is coming. I'll move the stick inside a building tomorrow.

Old 10-07-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
So he changed his mind about only having the transom natural then..and is now going native with the whole topsides of the boat ?....Cool!

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 10-08-2010
On the hard

Well, the plan was to varnish the brightwork and paint her blue at first. That changed when they saw the wood clean. The transom was ugly from the jump so I'm doing my best to cure that. My first attempt failed miserably. This second attempt is no charge to the customer since I don't charge for rework. Now the only thing that will be painted are the decks and a bit of the cockpit.

Old 10-08-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Well, the plan was to varnish the brightwork and paint her blue at first. That changed when they saw the wood clean. The transom was ugly from the jump so I'm doing my best to cure that. My first attempt failed miserably. This second attempt is no charge to the customer since I don't charge for rework. Now the only thing that will be painted are the decks and a bit of the cockpit.

Every time you mention things like this I bring them to the forefront of Internet attention...Because it is what will separate you from all other yards and makes you stand out head and shoulders from most others.

This is NOT the policy of most yards...if a worker is on the clock on your boat so is the billing charge.

GOOD ON YA!...Charlie!

You make me mad'er every day that you waited two years to long and werent around to help me out in my ordeal to start your boat yard.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 10-08-2010 at 08:50 AM.