Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-10-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
I like the felt linned covers that go over the Strataglass on our dodger, as it acts as a sun shield. I've been in the sun to many years, so I'm looking for shade all the time. When I hose down the boat I hit the dodger window covers to rinse them off, and once a year I take all the canvas home for a good cleaning and waterproofing. Most definitely using a good product to clean the Strataglass is a must, but I admit I don't clean is as often as I should.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Different Dodgers - Different Locales

We have the less expensive and less desirable clear plastic window panels. We have a full "drop over" Sunbrella cover that was done when the dodger was built in '95.
I can see a noticeable difference in how our canvas and windows are holding up over the seasons compared to boats around me with no covers.

One difference between us and probably most of you is that our moorage (and all the others along the river where we are located) is directly under the final approach to PDX. Lots of dirt, exhaust, and fuel residues in our air.
Kinda noisy at times, especially when the AF jets are practicing...

So, I would weigh in on the merits of a full cover...

"YMMV"

L

Last edited by olson34; 10-16-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Interesting re the covers....going to save me some dosh...I like that.

Thanks Maine.

Latest quote I've received for covers is quoting a Japanese product for the clears that they refer to as Vye Back. Anyone know the name ? I can find no reference on the net.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 10-12-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2010

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
On our Catalina 30 we had a full dodger cover and the dodger and windows held up great. The leather on the top of the dodger cracked. The cover was hard to store or I will say took up room.
On our new 36’ boat we have a solar panel on top of the dodger so we had individual covers made. We can see the bird poop get in between the windows and panels. They do keep out the sun and give privacy and are easy to store. We clean the windows every time we sail and I have started to use Pledge on them to keep them nice. Seems to work. Definitely getting dirt in-between the windows and covers. We will need to flush them when we wash the boat. Of course then we get water spots.
The full cover also kept the bird poop on the cover not the dodger.
We have a sewing machine and replace the windows when needed.

Chip
Old 10-11-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
In the south, I have found that a cover over the whole dodger works best than individual window covers for a boat that is worth less than $40k to $30k. Lasts about 10 years if sewn with proper thread, treated with Thompson's Watersealer (less per ounce than Aquatite), and is considerably less expensive than the big boy windows which are impractical on a pocket cruiser.
Old 10-11-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoChip View Post
We clean the windows every time we sail and I have started to use Pledge on them to keep them nice.

Chip

Chip,

Please do yourself a big favor and stop using Pledge. It is very nasty stuff on eisenglass or optically treated eisenglass/vinyl.

It contains: Silicone, Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon Solvent (basically Naptha), Propane, Isobutane, & butane. The silicones and paraffins actually attract dust and dirt and the silicone aided by the solvents can permanently penetrate the vinyl and make it foggy.

Use Imar Strataglass Protective Cleaner #301. You won't be disappointed. I have been recommending this stuff since long before Practical Sailor crowned it king of window treatments..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-11-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor50 View Post
In the south, I have found that a cover over the whole dodger works best than individual window covers for a boat that is worth less than $40k to $30k. Lasts about 10 years if sewn with proper thread, treated with Thompson's Watersealer (less per ounce than Aquatite), and is considerably less expensive than the big boy windows which are impractical on a pocket cruiser.
I've used Thomson's on some things masonary, but I wouldn't think using it on canvas is a great idea because it remains slightly tacky on certain materials...might collect dust and dirt.
Old 10-12-2010

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
Strataglass Protective Cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Chip,

Please do yourself a big favor and stop using Pledge. It is very nasty stuff on eisenglass or optically treated eisenglass/vinyl.
Ok, thanks ,I will pick some Strataglass Protective Cleaner #301 up!