SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Gear & Maintenance (
-   -   Good deal on butyl (self-vulcanizing) repair tape (

hellosailor 10-11-2010 03:37 PM

Good deal on butyl (self-vulcanizing) repair tape
This afternoon I found butyl self-vulcanizing repair tape in the "as seen on tv" section of Walgreens. Under the brand name "Mighty Fix It Tape", the pack is three 10' rolls for $9.99, one each red/yellow/blue.

CORRECTION: It's SILICONE TAPE! Even better for many purposes.

If you're used to getting butyl tape in the hardware stores, it can run close to that much for just one roll. So while I'd suspect this may be thinner or something, ten bucks for thirty feet is a find!

(Self-vulcanizing butyl tape has no adhesive and peels off clean, but when you stretch it out over itself and wrap it, it takes about 24 hours to fuse into one mass, becoming a waterproof seal in the process. Great way to fix leaks and waterproof bilge splices, when used properly and given time to set.)

I don't work for Walgreen's or the tape company--but at this price, it pays to stock up on some, or try it if you never have before.

rmeador 10-11-2010 03:46 PM

I just ordered some of this last week. The price seemed right, and the stuff I got looks like the stuff I want, but I've never used it so what do I know... I'm planning on using it for rebedding deck hardware and the sea hood, and also sealing the chainplates.

hellosailor 10-11-2010 03:50 PM

I'm not sure that the bedding tape is the same as the self-vulcanizing stuff. Try a wrap of it, and let me know? After it sets up 24 hours?

rmeador 10-11-2010 03:52 PM

I'm increasingly believing we're talking about two different things. My apologies if that is the case. I thought the point of butyl was that it never "sets", it always remains as flexible as the day it was put on. What sort of use would involve wrapping it around itself?

tommays 10-11-2010 04:05 PM

The good stuff works on Split Bolt Connectors connecting electric motors and such BUT its more of a land thing

ffiill 10-11-2010 04:07 PM

My dad a ww2 trained RAF mechanic refered to this as self amalgamating tape which was used by both RAF and USAF for both electrical insulation and emergency repair work on aeroplanes.
Often used by plumbers for temporary pipe repairs and has similar uses on boats.
Wrapped over itself it amalgamates into a flexible waterproof and pressure resistant mass.

WanderingStar 10-12-2010 08:37 AM

He's talking about the Chinese version of Rescue Tape.

arf145 10-12-2010 09:29 AM

I thought the Rescue Tape type tapes were silicone.

WanderingStar 10-13-2010 08:16 AM

I don't know, but they work well.

sailingdog 10-13-2010 01:59 PM

The self-fusing rigging/repair tapes—like Rescue Tape, Rubbaweld Tape—are silicone tapes. IIRC, there are butyl self-fusing tapes that are used in areas like radio equipment, but they don't look anything like the silicone self-fusing tapes.

Then there is butyl tape which is used for bedding hardware, which is really not a tape at all but called BUTYL "TAPE" since it comes in a roll, but it is really a flat ribbon of butyl sealant compound.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome