Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-12-2010

LakePirate is on a distinguished road
Should I be concerned about the house battery

Both batteries (a group 24 starter and 27 house) showed 100% charge on the meter before leaving the dock. After only about an hour and half of sailing with only the gauges on I went to start the motor with the switch on just the house battery and nothing. Ran down and switched to all and it fired right up. I know the group 27 isn't designed to be a starter battery but figured it would have enough to at least spin the motor a little. My question is since it didn't do anything should I be considering replacing the batteries?
Old 10-12-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
How much amperage does your starter draw to turn the engine over? Realistically, that size battery bank should have enough juice to do the deed...really, the type of battery form factor (a Group 24 or Group 27) isn't salient to the discussion.

The TYPE of battery, however, is. Are these Group 24 or Group 27 starting batteries....flooded deep cycle....AGMs....? How do you keep them charged when not in use? Also - a simple battery load test will reveal if the batteries are any good. I've had many batteries show strong voltage (12.8+ Volts) only to just fall to 10 V and lower (discharged) when the slightest load is put on them. That just means the battery is shot.

More info would be useful to diagnose your battery issue. But at a minimum, I would recommend a battery load test. Most auto repair stores will do this for you.
Old 10-12-2010

LakePirate is on a distinguished road
The 24 is a starter and the 27 is a deep cycle. I didn't have a volt meter with me but I'm guessing since the batteries are 3 years old it's time to replace.
Old 10-12-2010

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Have you checked the electrolite level?

Gene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
You should be able to start a small gas or diesel engine (under 40 hp or so) with any group 27 battery in good condition. Even a deep cycle battery.

3 years isn't long for batteries if charged properly.

You say they showed 100% charged by the meter. What kind of meter?

Also if one battery is dead best to switch to the other battery, not to both. Combining a good with a dead battery can drain the good battery.

It sounds like the battery might be shot.
Old 10-12-2010
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
I would guess that your meter is a volt meter. Batts can show 100% (or close to it) in terms of volts while being fairly dead in terms of capacity--as nightowl said.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 10-12-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
A volt meter will not tell you much of anything in terms of how good the battery is, just that it's charged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 10-12-2010

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
House vs starter battery

LakePirate,
It may also depend on how the boat is wired. I have 4 house batteries but I cannot start the engine from them I have to either use the starter battery or have them all on both.

Old 10-12-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
CapnRon
That makes no sense. If "both" selects the house batteries they must be connected to the post the start battery is not connected to, either 1 or 2.
Old 10-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What kind of meter are you using? IF it is just a voltmeter, it is USELESS for determining state of charge for the most part. For a voltmeter to give any reliable reading, the batteries have to be sit undisturbed, without loads or charging for a fairly significant period of time, usually 10+ hours, so that you're actually reading the true state of charge, rather than surface voltages from charging the batteries. A Hydrometer can show you the real SOC on a wetcell battery.

Do you have wet cell batteries? If so, when was the last time you checked the electrolyte levels in them. If the levels are low for any significant period of time, you can damage the plates and then the battery will lose significant amounts of capacity, although the voltage readings won't change much.

Also, how are you charging the batteries? Wet cell batteries like to be on a smart, three-stage charger. They also will self-discharge over time, faster with higher temperatures, so charging them on a regular basis is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakePirate View Post
Both batteries (a group 24 starter and 27 house) showed 100% charge on the meter before leaving the dock. After only about an hour and half of sailing with only the gauges on I went to start the motor with the switch on just the house battery and nothing. Ran down and switched to all and it fired right up. I know the group 27 isn't designed to be a starter battery but figured it would have enough to at least spin the motor a little. My question is since it didn't do anything should I be considering replacing the batteries?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.