Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-12-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
boat name lettering sources

So I know this topic has been discussed before, and I've read most or all of those old threads, but this one has a twist.

I've tried the sites recommended, such as BoatUS and doityourselflettering.com. Their sites don't work! They have javascript errors and other such problems that make them unusable -- in both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I've also tried some others that I have never heard mentioned on the threads about boat names, such as boatnames.net, that doesn't work either. How does anyone order from these companies? I'm trying to find an alternative. One I've found so far that seems good is customboatnames.com, another is boatlettering.net (leaning towards this one), both of which have usable sites. Has anyone ordered from either and can share their experience? Do you have any other recommendations?

Here's something I'm looking for that I haven't found at any supplier: design one name/home port and then get that same design printed for the boat, the life jackets, the horseshoe life preserver, and the sail cover. Do you know of such a one stop shop? If not, where do people get their lifejacket labels? My understanding is the CG likes the lifejackets to be labeled with the boat name, and it only makes sense to get the same kind of label as the hull. Being able to get some T-shirts with the same design would be cool too. It would be nearly impossible to re-create the same design on a bunch of different suppliers websites for each type of product, so I really want one source for everything.
Old 10-12-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Any modern sign maker can make better boat names than these "boatname" companies and much cheaper too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2010
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Not sure about the web issues, but I've used Boat US for our boat and boats for two friends with no issues. Good quality and quick shipping. The letters are over three years old now and look as good as day one. As for CG requirements, I've never heard of that for recreational boats - commercial may be different. I'd also like to find a source for t-shirts and drink coozies, but everywhere I look you need to order in bulk to get a price even approaching reasonable.
Old 10-12-2010

saillife is on a distinguished road
I'm with Vasco on this topic. I used a local sign maker. Real person to talk to, could see the design & color of the lettering before anything was done. Took him a couple of days to make it and I was done.
Old 10-12-2010

southshoreS24 is on a distinguished road
go with a local sign shop. they will even install it for you. as for the other things, life rings - can apply vinyl lettering to also. The sign shop may be able to letter things also, if not then you can ask for the vinyl in a negative to use as a stencil of the same font / design for these things and get the proper fabric paint or something similar if they are not willing to letter it for you. Also this way the sign shop will have your design on record and can easily update or apply it to anything else you want, like a dock box, or other. they may have connections for things like glasses, napkins, shirts, coasters, etc...
Old 10-12-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Boat Name, Boat Lettering, Boat Graphic or Boat Sign at MyBoatSign.com

havent used them/no affiliation. my buddy is a designer, dunno if he would be (or you would be) interested in having him draw a custom deal, but i could check (obvious affiliation, but for no monetary gain). to scan/vectorize/clean up smudges/print= a hundred bucks from a local sign shop. this is a pic of the original from my phone, so not great, but the thing really does kinda look 3D like it was carved in the glass.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 10-12-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
I used https://www.boatnames.net/ for the lettering for my new/used boat. I ended up getting a LOT of lettering (names on side, transom, boom, and dock steps, and hailing port on transom). They were fast, able to customize the lettering, and so far I've been very happy with how well they are holding up, but it hasn't been very long. The price was generally better than other options overall.

Using a local sign shop is fine and I could have done that. I have done that for commercial vinyl lettering on vehicles. However it was just a whole lot easier to use the online shop for the boat names and actually was faster.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-12-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCarolena View Post
Not sure about the web issues, but I've used Boat US for our boat and boats for two friends with no issues. Good quality and quick shipping.
I agree. The BoatUS graphic site works well. Fix your computer. I like that you can change the font, color, options, etc. and see immediately what the change looks like. Very pleased with the boat name and home port lettering I got last year from them.
Old 10-12-2010

glassdad is on a distinguished road
Try boatlettering dot net. Their site works great. It is easy and you can change the color, style and font on the input screens and see the result right away. The decal goes on easy and seems to last. I have not seen any fading or peeling in two years.
I am not related in any way to them. I appreciate good work and good service.
Old 10-13-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Fix your computer.
It's not my computer. I've tried two different browsers (IE and FF) each on two different operating systems (Windows and Linux) on three different computers.

Anyways, I'm probably going to go with a local sign shop. Thanks for the suggestion. I've been making some calls this morning.