Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-14-2010

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
ereader

I don't know if this belongs in the off topic section of sailnet or not, but since throwing out the anchor and reading a book is one of my favorite parts of sailing I figured I wold post it here.

Does anyone recommend a particular ereader? I have heard two trains of thought on which one to buy. Most people say that the one to get is Amazon's Kindle. This is primarily because it is the coolest and the most high tech device there is. Other people say to get the Borders Kobo because it is the simplest, looks the most like real paper and ink and therefore it is also the easiest on the eyes. The other big advantage of the kobo is that you can download epub files (free books) or check them out from the library like any other book.

Also has anyone use the Calibre software app on a Kindle so that you can check out library books or other off copyright books. I have heard that with this software it will eliminate my above mentioned issues.

Really this is a sailing question. Being cove'd out and reading go hand in hand...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you have a smart phone, you may not need to buy either. The Android phones, Symbian-based phones, the iPhone and Crackberries all have ebook reader apps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-14-2010

Sadly I am still using a Razr. My brother's kids think that its an antique.
Old 10-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm... it is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCK View Post
Sadly I am still using a Razr. My brother's kids think that its an antique.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-14-2010
Vagabond in Training

Livia is on a distinguished road
I have a Nook (Barnes & Noble) which I purchased because I wanted to be able to check out library books. After installing the free adobe software, I check books out from the library, plug in my Nook and drag and drop. I can buy books (or download free books) with wifi as well and the new Nook has 3G I understand.

To the best of my knowledge you can't do check out DRM protected books (library books) with a Kindle unless you crack the DRM on the ebooks which is possible but illegal. Someone might be able to school me on that one though.

I wanted to buy the Kindle (tres cool) but not working with public library books was a dealbreaker for me. I also like the e-ink on my eyes versus reading on a computer or handheld. YMMV.

Also, any sci-fi ebook reader folks should check out the Baen Free Library.

//
//
Old 10-14-2010
Telstar 28

Livia—

The Baen Free Library rocks... and some of the Baen hardcovers come with a CD that has ebooks not available in the free library on them.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-14-2010
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
My wife is a big reader, and has started selling off her huge library. We hope to be living on our boat and cruising as soon as the home is sold. Not much room on a 36' mono.

She bought the Kindle and loves it. I have read my first book on it Amazon.com: Sex, Lies & Spinnakers (9780982554906): Steve Van Slyke: Books, $9.99 for the Kindle (great story). In the end, I enjoy reading on the Kindle.

It goes forever on a charge. Something to consider while cruising. I'm not saying it is the best for everyone, but works for us.

Last edited by RTB; 10-14-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-14-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
If you go overseas you need the Kindle. Last time I checked (a few months ago) the Nook didnt work overseas except maybe Canada and a couple of European countries. The Kindle works almost everywhere.
Old 10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I have a Nook (Barnes & Noble) which I purchased because I wanted to be able to check out library books. After installing the free adobe software, I check books out from the library, plug in my Nook and drag and drop. I can buy books (or download free books) with wifi as well and the new Nook has 3G I understand.

To the best of my knowledge you can't do check out DRM protected books (library books) with a Kindle unless you crack the DRM on the ebooks which is possible but illegal. Someone might be able to school me on that one though.

I wanted to buy the Kindle (tres cool) but not working with public library books was a dealbreaker for me. I also like the e-ink on my eyes versus reading on a computer or handheld. YMMV.

Also, any sci-fi ebook reader folks should check out the Baen Free Library.
While I was in Borders shopping for an ereader another customer mentioned that the free calibre software package was a safe way (and legal, but might void the warranty) of being able to access books from the library. I hate the idea of having to buy an electron gizmo and then have to modify it before I even use it.

I havent played around with a Nook yet. I will have to put it on my list.