Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-15-2010

Hewie is on a distinguished road
Shortcomings of Orienteering (land) compass

How is a marine hand bearing compass (ie Iris 50) superior to a bearing compasses for land navigation (ie Silva Type 20)? I have a couple of the latter, but am wondering how the marine compasses may be superior.

Thanks,
Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well, first the marine ones usually are designed to float... second, they're designed to be read at eye level while sighting on the target. Third, they're probably better stabilized/damped than the terrestrial ones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-15-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
The Iris 50 (and the military types of hand bearing compasses) have a prism/lens which simultaneously splits the view: one view is the compass scale (degrees), the other view is the object to which you are looking at.

The Silva type of compasses do not have such a prism (or lens / 'gun-sight' as with the military type compass) with which to 'split' the view, so your eyeball has to alternately 'focus' between the 2 views.

You typically use the Silva type by holding such at some distance from your eyeball (to view the 'pointer'), the prism types are held next-to-the-eyeball and therefore are vastly more 'sensitive' and more accurate.
Old 10-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While the IRIS 50 does have a prism, it doesn't split the view. It merely allows you to read the compass without having to look down at the compass card.

If you look at the compass, you can clearly see that you can not view through the prism...the outboard end is covered by rubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
The Iris 50 (and the military types of hand bearing compasses) have a prism/lens which simultaneously splits the view: one view is the compass scale (degrees), the other view is the object to which you are looking at.

The Silva type of compasses do not have such a prism (or lens / 'gun-sight' as with the military type compass) with which to 'split' the view, so your eyeball has to alternately 'focus' between the 2 views.

You typically use the Silva type by holding such at some distance from your eyeball (to view the 'pointer'), the prism types are held next-to-the-eyeball and therefore are vastly more 'sensitive' and more accurate.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-15-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
SD - correct on all counts, as usual
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 10-15-2010

Hewie is on a distinguished road
Looks like another item to add to my wish list. Now to decide between the Iris, Vion, and W&P.
Dave
Old 10-15-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
In the end tho, will the Silva work? the simple answer is probably yes it will. But it may not be as accurate due to less dampening vs the Iris model(s). or other equal. BUT, I personally feel, if that is all you have, ie a Silva. use it!

marty
Old 10-15-2010
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewie View Post
Looks like another item to add to my wish list. Now to decide between the Iris, Vion, and W&P.
Dave
They're basically the same in terms of function. The Iris 50 is the least expensive at about $75 or so. Get it in the Yellow, not the Blue, since if you drop it into the water, the yellow is a lot easier to spot.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewie View Post
Dave
I currently use a Plastimo Iris 50 and a Morin, but it is not usable at night any more; it is more stable that the Plastimo. The Morin gets more day time use.
Old 10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
T Get it in the Yellow, not the Blue, since if you drop it into the water, the yellow is a lot easier to spot.
Damn - I bought the blue one.

I always use the neck strap.