Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-17-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Removing impeller for winterization

Do you remove your impeller when you winterize your engine? I haven't in the past but think I will this year since I've been told by two people that it is a good idea.

What's the purpose of removing the impeller? I'm assuming that the cold temps and potential for freezing water can ruin the blades, but there shouldn't be any water present if winterization is done correctly. Anyway, what are your thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I yank mine in the fall and replace it with a new one each spring. Some PG antifreeze products can swell or degrade the rubber and some impellers are more prone to PG damage than others. I have seen some that seem unaffected and some that throw a blade in short order after a winter sitting in PG. For the $17.00 I pay once a year, it is cheap insurance..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-17-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
I'm not mechanic, and Maine Sail is much more knowledgeable than me. That said, I don't remove the impeller for winter, but I replace it in spring before first start-up. I think that's essentially the same result as Maine Sail, just a matter of different timing. In other words, the impeller once exposed to anti-freeze is not used again.
-J
Old 10-17-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I'm a baaaad girl never change it since it's above the water line on my engine and I have 4 spares. I know! it can send bits into the HX. It's just that tissue thin gasket oberdofer pumps need is so fragile. I know! get the o-ring plate!.
told ya.. I'm bad!

ps; we did ck it last year. saw no damage to the vanes from the pink stuff

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 10-17-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-17-2010
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
I pull it after "pinking" the engine, it's cheap insurance.

Also I feel it's a good thing to have the raw water pump open & drained, totally protected from freezing over the winter.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 10-18-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
i leave it in, but always have spares and replace it when doing a small tune up... dont know if up in MI the colder weather makes it more prone to failure (freezing = cracking?), ive just always heard that if you run the engine for any bit of time w/o h20 intake open you are prone to the fins breaking off...

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 10-18-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I ended up pulling the impeller out today when I winterized the engine. It's still in excellent condition, which isn't all that surprising since I replaced it last spring.

Old 10-18-2010

baboon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I'm a baaaad girl never change it since it's above the water line on my engine and I have 4 spares. I know! it can send bits into the HX. It's just that tissue thin gasket oberdofer pumps need is so fragile. I know! get the o-ring plate!.
told ya.. I'm bad!

ps; we did ck it last year. saw no damage to the vanes from the pink stuff

Keep in mind that if the impeller fails you can have a lot more problems than bits in your HX. The engine may overheat and fail, a sad problem that has happend to 2 local boaters, one with me on the boat. In both cases the overheat alarm went off, but not in time to salvage the motor.
Old 10-18-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Whys don't we redirect this discussion a bit and think of ways to prevent said impeller and other "things" from getting into the RW system?

More fail from age then antifreeze.(imho) Also, there are some new out of the box impellers that have failed.

Not that I'm quoting anyone,
Will -60 pink RV antifreeze with alcohol hurt my 3gmf - SailboatOwners.com

My opinion, over temp alarms should/could be in place since so many people seem to never check guages. The impeller is only ONE source of potential things to clog up the engine and HX

OR! install and over size strainer on pump discharge, flow switch alarm and more?

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 10-18-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-18-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

just sayin...

my current "project"!