SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   How to avoid Yellow bouys without a chartplotter (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/69208-how-avoid-yellow-bouys-without-chartplotter.html)

akin_alan 10-19-2010 02:22 PM

How to avoid Yellow bouys without a chartplotter

Anyone have a fear of running into a Yellow Bouy in the Ocean. Many are more than 40 miles out. Paper Charts that go out that far are not so detailed as a chart plotter. Does this mean that I have to have a chartplotter far out in the ocean if I don't want to hit one of these bouys?

rikhall 10-19-2010 02:25 PM

I know this will sound silly - but you may just have to watch for them, like you do for lobster floats, jetsum and flotsum, and the such.

If you can aviod lobster floats at high tide in the Gulf of Maine, Yellow Bouys are a piece of cake!

Rik

btrayfors 10-19-2010 02:26 PM

National Data Buoy Center

wwilson 10-19-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikhall (Post 656329)
If you can aviod lobster floats at high tide in the Gulf of Maine, Yellow Bouys are a piece of cake!

Oh Yeah!

akin_alan 10-19-2010 02:41 PM

Ok with a chartplotter that is very easy. I look at how fast I am going and estimate when I will be getting close. Keep in mind I am a single handed sailor and I spend days at a time out there. Ever heard of someone running into one of those things?

speciald 10-19-2010 03:23 PM

Yes I have. A cat in the Caribbean 1500 ran into one a few years back and did significant damage.

CaptainForce 10-19-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikhall (Post 656329)
I know this will sound silly - but you may just have to watch for them, like you do for lobster floats, jetsum and flotsum, and the such.

Rik

Nothing silly about this at all! A view of the real world always trumps an electronic screen!

rikhall 10-19-2010 07:01 PM

Please don't missunderstand.

We have RADAR, AIS reciever, DSC Radio, Chart plotter, moving map software on our laptop . . . honest - have them and use them all, but, we absolutly love to cruise the coast of Maine and there you just have to play the "lobster trap float polka"! No choice.

More than five weeks there this past summer and we only picked up one, and I got it off without using a knife at all. I really really try to avoid costing a lobster person their gear.

And all possible because we try our best to avoid stuff that wants to wrap around our prop. :)

sailingdog 10-19-2010 07:14 PM

A lot to be said for the Mark I eyeball...

T37SOLARE 10-19-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

A lot to be said for the Mark I eyeball...
and RADAR and a chart...