Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-21-2010

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
Hot water smells baaaaaad!

Just the hot water. I have an Isotemp water heater, and the water from it smells like sufur or similar. Acrid. Really awful. I thought i remembered seeing a thread on this but I searched and couldn't find it. Help!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2010

ToppDogg is on a distinguished road
You are smelling Hydrogen sulfide, either from the use of well water or you have a bacteria in your hot water tank.
Old 10-21-2010
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Our hot water line was old and ran through the bildge and stunk every time we turned it on. It was picking up a bad smell from the bilge water.
Old 10-21-2010

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
so what to do?
Old 10-22-2010
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
You can also get a build up inside the tank. Flush it thoroughly. You may need to do a couple of times.
Old 10-22-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Rik - fix the hole in the hose.

Pub - add chlorine to your hot water system, and then flush out the tank.
It is also possible that the IsoTemp Hot Water Heater has a Magnesium anode in it which is reacting poorly with the minerals in your water system. Replace the anode, preferably with a zinc anode, and treat per above. Also, consider filling your freshwater tanks elsewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 10-22-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
Odor in hot water systems is usually indicative that the magnesium anode inside the heater has 'depleated' .... replace (or add) the magnesium anode.

Do NOT substitute the magnesium anode with a zinc anode.
Old 10-22-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ahh.. Rich beat me to it.. I was going to suggest it was the anode too. If it was bacteria from filling the tank, the cold water would smell as well, not as strongly, but it would. If it is only the hot water, it is likely the anode more than bacteria.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-22-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Arrgh...

Looking into the Magnesium vs Zinc thing. What I know is that Magnesium anodes can react with sulphates in the water to produce Hydrogen Sulphate (aka stink). I believe that this is less of an issue with zinc.

Digging deeper; I looked through the Isotemp website for user manuals. Here is the link: Isotemp Slim & Basic

What I found after skimming a couple of them is that there is NO reference to the anode for an IsoTemp Water Heater. This leads me to conclude that there is no anode! ("There is no spoon.")

Theory: there is bacteria in your fresh water tank, and the temp (>160°F) is killing them in the water heater. As the bacteria decompose in your HW tank, excuse me... , other bacteria are producing hydrogen sulfide.

Possible solution: Chlorinate your entire freshwater system, and then flush with CLEAN water from a different source than you usually use.

I have used swimming pool shock for my (new to me) boat, which had sat unused with full water tanks all summer long. Swimming pool shock is (calcium hypochlorate). Others prefer bleach (sodium hypochlorate) to chlorinate the system. If you want my rationale, follow the links that I provided. What ever you use, hit it hard, and flush it out several times before using.

Good luck!

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 10-23-2010

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
The last is what worked for me. My old water tank would get smelly every now and then. I would let water out, pour a gallon of household bleach into it, refill it and let it sit for a few hours, then flush and refill, No more smell.

I have heard of the anode causing smelly water, but it's never been the source in any case I've dealt with.