SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Gear & Maintenance (
-   -   Crazy Looking Socket (

F4d3d 10-22-2010 11:26 AM

Crazy Looking Socket
Hello All!

In the photo below is a 1 1/4" nut that holds the prop shaft into the engine connecting flange. Basically, it needs to be removed so the shaft can be removed so the cutless bearing can be replaced. There must be a specialized socket made to fit this crazy nut, does anyone know where I can find one? What it's called? Anything to shed some light on this would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers! F4

[edit] Attached smaller image. Sorry, my bad [/edit]

Sixpoint 10-22-2010 11:29 AM

Looks like it has been loosened/tightened in the past with a hammer and punch. I'm not saying that's the only or proper way to do it...just that's what it looks like.

F4d3d 10-22-2010 11:32 AM

It's possible, Sixpoint. I'm not sure of the history, so I can't say with authority how it was done in the past.

Sixpoint 10-22-2010 11:44 AM

Do you weld, or know someone who does?

If so, I'd think about making a special socket for it.

erps 10-22-2010 11:46 AM

I can't tell how big that is, but I have a half inch drive socket in my box that looks like a giant flat blade screw driver bit. It came in handy for tie rod ends on certain trucks.

it looked kind of like this only bigger:

QuickMick 10-22-2010 12:31 PM

while i cant see the pic :confused: so im guessing is it like this?

F4d3d 10-22-2010 12:57 PM

@erps - That may work. :) Of course I'd still love to find the actual socket to fit this nut, but in a pinch, your solution might be what works. I'll try to track one down.

@Sixpoint - Well, I'm not much of a welder. :P I hope it doesn't come down to making a custom part for this, but we'll see...

@QuickMick - Nope, that's not it. Here is the direct link to the photo:

F4d3d 10-22-2010 06:14 PM

Well, I think this is what I'm after. The one in this photo is too large, so it won't work, but I'd like to know what it's called so I can try to track one down that is the right size. Anyone know what this shape of socket is called? And any ideas where I can find one to buy?

erps 10-22-2010 06:43 PM

Doh! Google spanner socket for a start.

sailingdog 10-22-2010 06:53 PM

One easy way to do it is take a large socket that fits in the space and have a machine shop cut the front end of it to match the splines in the locking nut.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome