Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-24-2010

Neicy is on a distinguished road
Congealed Varnish

Help! I have purchased 2 Interlux Goldspar Satin cans of varnish. I have used this before and did not have a problem, so what am I doing wrong.
I open it, pour a little into a separate cup for used, immediately close the can. By the 3rd day it is clearly thick and by the 4-5th it is completely congealed ( like soft jello). Is this stuff inferior or is it me????? This is getting expensive.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
My Helmsman will do that if i don't get the lid on perfectly...You have to wipe the lids groove perfectly clean...Is not so much congealed but will crust over with a hardened film...the varnish underneath it though is perfectly fine.

Your description sounds different and i would call the manufacture....Is it REALLY Humid where you are at?

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 10-24-2010

No it is not humid and I am working inside. Just not sure what it is. I feel the lid is on as I hammered it. I used this stuff 5 years ago on my galley workwork and had no problem. Also I am not working at the boat, but in my home. It is the companion steps and I just brought them home.
Also a couple of years ago when I used Captains varnish for the outside teak, I opened and closed it for a month with no problem. I think I will contact Interlux about this problem. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I could have gotten frozen in the distribution line somewhere..Freezing is usually death to glues, paints and varnishes.

I use PVC cement by the gallons...if I leave a quart out even in a light frost is will separate. and be useless....if that same can is under cover during that light frost it is fine....having the can unopened and brand new makes a difference as well...that's way i asked about the humidity...it seems the volume of air in the can has something to do with it going bad in the frost condition I mentioned as well.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 10-24-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-24-2010

I have emailed Interlux and will see what they say. I am not an expert, but know it should not turn to jelly in one week whether the lid is 100% air tight or not.